cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit Motivators

My reasons to quit smoking:
  Smoking contradicts the reason I pay $80 a month for my inhalers TO BREATH!!!
  Smoking causes skin to show aging earlier and I use Mary Kay to slow that process down!
  Smoking causes teeth to become stain and I use EVERY whitener to keep them looking good
  Smoking causes me to smell bad, and I have the greatest smelling shampoo and body wash sprays and lotions!
  Smoking costs me $120 or more a month and I am always whining about being broke!
  Smoking causes me to have a hard time working out, and I LOVE to stay in shape!!!
  Smoking is causing my granddaughter to imitate me! YUCK!!
  Smoking is slowly killing me-and I am not ready to die!!
  Smoking is going to be the reason I become one of those people who have an O2 tank every where they go-and I DO NOT want to be one of those people!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
82 Replies
diane49

There are only reasons out there NOT to smoke. I can't think of any reasons TO smoke! Mostly, I'm scared of not quitting. How I wish I'd known how bad it was for me when I started! This addiction is an awful one.

I quit December 26, 2009 (a day and a half ago). Woke up at 5:00 that morning, went down to my purse in the dark and just crushed all the cigs left in my pack, threw them away and went back to bed. What was up with that?

Anyway, neither my son(s) nor my husband smoke and they've been after me for years to quit. Why wouldn't I want to be around for my son's graduation from college? His eventual marriage? My grandkids? Don't I want to be able to ride my bike and my horse and rollerblade without huffing and puffing? Don't I want to be able to go to my husband in our bed and not worry that I smell bad? Don't I want to feel strong and in control and not controlled by needing to find a place to suck in the poisons from some stupid white stick made of paper and tobbaco? Don't I want to save MY money rather than putting it in the pocket of some CEO peddaling sickness?

OF COURSE I want all these things!!!  Life is hard enough these days without the added problem of being a smoker.

That's why when I get cravings I'm going to do what I have to do to deal with them withOUT lighting up. I am blessed to have people in my life that will love me when I cry for no reason, lash out when it's not appropriate and will support me through the process.  Why wouldn't I take advantage of these blessings so I am alive down the line and can bless somebody else?

THIS is why I am quitting.

0 Kudos
jessi4

I remember quitting when I was about 28 and thought this is so easy I will quit another time.

Then I remember when I was about 37 the prices started climbing.  I said when cartons get to be more than $17 I will quit.

When I turned 40 I said I would quit, and so on and so on.

Now I no longer have the choice.  I'm coughing all night.  My head is killing me from the jerking, my ears hurt, my chest hurts.  My doctor said I'm close to COPD. 

Oh how I wish I put it down for good back when I was 28 but 19 years later, and thousands of dollars spent, here I am without a choice.

Day four yippie!!!

0 Kudos

Reasons Why I Quit - Because I'm beautiful and I want to stay that way and smoking is not beautiful.

0 Kudos
MoeUnfiltered

Day 16.the resons are still vauge to my addicted brain.The biggest reason I am staying quit is because I believe the Miracle will happen.That miracle being that I will see the logic to quitting and be free from the obsession and will let go of the  reasons I maintained this habit in the face of financial ruin (I owe my state many $$ for ordering habitsticks from a reservation and threat of emphysema).                    I am grateful for this website and its members.

0 Kudos
heidi16

I quit for 4 reasons: 1.) health, 2.) looks, 3.) career, and 4.) it became very hard on my body to smoke.  Near the end before I quit this time I just felt like the smoking was ravenging my body.  I think when you're young your body can handle all sorts of abuse, but the older you get the harder things hit you.  You just can't handle drugs, smokes, drinking like you used to...very hard on the body.  So, I'm clean and sober...except for my caffiene!

0 Kudos
lois2

i quit so i can breath better,  and for money.

MissiAnn

So many have inspired me..but here are a few...friends who have quit before me... Henry and Sheila...and those who life was cut short from smoking... my grandfather and Sheila's grandmother.

0 Kudos
brenda61

Believe it or not the person who inspired me to quit smoking was the person who gave me these words at the  emergency room YOU have copd.  I wish I could have quit for my family or for me  but unfortunately I had to wait till I heard that.

Since quitting cold turkey march 27 my breathing has been very amazing just get a little breathless from time to time.  I wanted to write sooner here but for some reason my mind was blocked.  s

Also smoking had started to become painful so that helped too.  Take care and I would like to join group.

0 Kudos
sheila45

Well brenda I am glad you stoped smoking, I didnt start out wanting to stop I thought Id be a smoker till the end. I had never tried to stop smoking I always came up with reasons to keep smoking. I remeber my grandma always said "sheila faye, you need to stop smoking or your going to end up sick like me, and id just say ill try one day! Well she beat cancer 2 times but the last time took her from us, I was the last one to see her and the sound of her passing away will never leave me.  well after she past away it was like she slaped them out of my hand... I guess she had to have that one last thing even if she had to do it from beyond.  It was about a week after she past away I got very sick with bronchitis and neumonia, and every time I tried to lite up I would hear the sound I heard the day she died, and I couldnt lite it, so I took  it one hour at a time, I would tell myself I'll have one later and later never seemed to come.  And still today I can't bing myself to lite one.. so I think the lord everyday for the all the wonderful things my grandma did for me but most of all I am so thankful she saved my life!!

0 Kudos
MoeUnfiltered

It was seeing my friend Regina so sick..I couldn't believe it.She had water on the brain and lymphoma and I was right there in the ICU when they told her about the tumor.I have lost two close friends to cancer and last year my friend was murdered,Julie (she would never have believed I am quit. because I was a total chain-smoker).My Dad has emphysema and I have chronic bronchitis and asthma.Regina's condidtion woke me up to how very mortal I was.

Something clicked with me when I saw Regina that sick.i had always thought that I could bargain with God that if I did the right things or had a loving heart I would not get cancer or emphysema.---crazy huh?I saw the lung doc on January 5th and told him about my friend,I actually gave him a typed out letter with all tapering methods and how sad I was about my friend.He told me about EX at that time.I thought oh yeah right..a website that will help me stay quit.On February 5th on a Friday at 8pm I just stopped with no real plan.It was a culmination of so many things.It has been 4 months and I will be attending my 3rd quit group,,I want to stay humble and teachable and this is a scary addiction.I have no doubt I am a junkie--one time I had surgery and even though my legs were numb I held myself with my upper body strength so the nurse would take pity on me and take me for a smoke.

Thank you so much for sharing your story Shelia.Moe

0 Kudos