cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit Motivators

My reasons to quit smoking:
  Smoking contradicts the reason I pay $80 a month for my inhalers TO BREATH!!!
  Smoking causes skin to show aging earlier and I use Mary Kay to slow that process down!
  Smoking causes teeth to become stain and I use EVERY whitener to keep them looking good
  Smoking causes me to smell bad, and I have the greatest smelling shampoo and body wash sprays and lotions!
  Smoking costs me $120 or more a month and I am always whining about being broke!
  Smoking causes me to have a hard time working out, and I LOVE to stay in shape!!!
  Smoking is causing my granddaughter to imitate me! YUCK!!
  Smoking is slowly killing me-and I am not ready to die!!
  Smoking is going to be the reason I become one of those people who have an O2 tank every where they go-and I DO NOT want to be one of those people!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
82 Replies

I quit because I finally came to the point of NOT WANTING TO SMOKE ANYMORE!! I survived colon cancer, surgery & chemo in 2002, quit for 3 months, then started smoking again. Talk about tempting fate!!! I am blessed to be alive & want to be here for as long as possible to enjoy my children and grandchildren! Today is my 21st day of being a happier, healthier EX smoker!
0 Kudos
maria18

There are a lot of reasons why I decided to quit.
  I was getting really tired of feeling bad about myself every time I went somewhere and had to seek out a place to have a cigarette or two.
  I'd go to the hospital to see a friend or family and feel like I'd have to excuse myself and trek across the building and across the street to suck on a cigarette or two!
  I'd feel really bad when the little kids in the family started telling me I didn't need to smoke cause it was bad for me and them too.
  I got tired of being broke all the time, but kept on shoveling more and more money ($300-$400 a month) into the already overflowing coffers of good old Phillip Morris! In fact, I got really angry thinking about how I kept getting poorer and PM kept getting richer! I'd switch brands to something cheaper and then realise the new brand was made by the same old company!
  I'd feel inferior when I was around non-smokers who seemed to
  "have it all" and be free of compulsions.
  I'd get really impatient with myself when I realised that , tho I still looked pretty good for my age, I was feeling WAY older than I am because I couldn't do ANYTHING without getting out of breath and having to stop and rest in between almost any activity. Trouble was, when I'd stop to rest, I'd light up a cigarette while I was catching my breath.
  I got really tired of grabbing a cigarette before I even got the coffeepot going in the morning. This really got to me, cause the miniute I'd light up, I'd start coughing like crazy and grabbing kleenex and paper towels to deal with all the SNOT I'd be blowing out my nose and coughing up.
  My eyes always felt tired too! They burned from being expossed to all that smoke I was creating! (Gee THAT was fun, huh?)
  I'd feel bad when I went to my daughters' houses and have to go outside cause I didn't want to stink up their houses!
  I like to think of myself as being strong-willed and determined and into taking care of the rest of my family. After a long time, it dawned on me that if I kept on the path I'd been on for so long, I'd need others to take care of ME! I am a slow learner here, and FINALLY it hit me that I'm not so strong willed at all, since I was willing to turn a major portion of my retirement income over to a tobacco company for the privilege of killing myself! I can use that extra money to buy little treats for my family or even new clothes and goodies for myself now and then! 😉
  I used to think I was a pretty smart cookie, but I don't see anything smart about using something to the point where you can't even breathe. I'd wake up having trouble to breathe and go to bed at night having trouble breathing and actually hearing wheezing noises coming from yours truly. What's amazing is that after just a couple of days I was actually able to breathe normally! OMG! I've been a smoker so long I never dreamed I'd feel such an immediate improvement in my breathing!
  I'm actually enjoying the idea of being proud of myself for something. I'm inspiring my kids to quit smoking and even people I've known a long time.
  I used to get so mad at myself, cause I'd lay down at night, experiencing a lot of trouble breathing and swear I'd quit the next day. The next day, I'd light up as soon as I woke up and get mad at myself all over again!
0 Kudos
brian6

I enjoyed being a smoker. I won't deny it. I am going to miss it at times. We all do. The reasons I quit are all tied to one thing. My daughter. Seeing her hit her milestones (she just started walking). I also have noticed some milestones of my own. The one I disliked the most was not being able to walk upstairs at my house without huffing and puffing. My health is a serious concern for me. I would like to be around for her when she does all the things I can't wait to see. First date, Prom, Marriage, Kids, etc... I also don't want her growing up idolizing her parents and seeing them smoke and think its okay to start. I hate coming in from anywhere and going to pick her up and knowing I smell like ashtray. Leaning in to kiss my wife and smelling it permiate off of me. Those things I will not miss. As well as spending the money on ciags. It's getting a little ridicualous. 6 days and counting until Q-Day.
0 Kudos
raymond_clark

Hi group and God Bless I think you will like this I sure did.

Comment by Raymond Clark 1 second ago Delete Comment Hi Group and God Bless at EX. I thaught you might like this friends.I hope everythings going well for everyone here goes:Hi group I just thought I'd check and see how everyone doing. God Bless and I thinks you will all like this I sure did !

HANDY LITTLE CHART - GOD HAS A POSITIVE ANSWER:

YOU SAY
  GOD SAYS
  BIBLE VERSES

You say: 'It's impossible'
  God says: All things are possible
  (Luke 18:27)

You say: 'I'm too tired'
  God says: I will give you rest
  (Matthew 11:28-30)

You say: 'Nobody really loves me'
  God says: I love you
  (John 3:1 6 & John 3:34 )

You say: 'I can't go on'
  God says: My grace is sufficient
  (II Corinthians 12:9 & Psalm 91:15)

You say: 'I can't figure things out'
  God says: I will direct your steps
  (Proverbs 3:5- 6)

You say: 'I can't do it'
  God says: You can do all things
  ( Philippians 4:13)

You say: 'I'm not able'
  God says: I am able
  (II Corinthians 9:8)

You say: 'It's not worth it'
  God says: It will be worth it
  (Roman 8:28 )

You say: 'I can't forgive my self'
  God says: I Forgive you
  (I John 1:9 & Romans 8:1)

You say: 'I can't manage'
  God says: I will supply all your needs
  ( Philippians 4:19)

You say: 'I'm afraid'
  God says: I have not given you a spirit of fear
  (II Timothy 1:7)

You say: 'I'm always worried and frustrated'
  God says: Cast all your cares on ME
  (I Peter 5:7)

You say: 'I'm not smart enough'
  God says: I give you wisdom
  (I Corinthians 1:30)

You say: 'I feel all alone'
  God says: I will never leave you or forsake you
  (Hebrews 13:5)

PASS THIS ON. YOU NEVER KNOW WHO MAY BE IN NEED
  The first sentence is pretty powerful!

God determines who walks into your life.....it's up to you to decide who you let walk away, who you let stay, and who you refuse to let go.'

Father, God, bless all my friends in EX in whatever it is that you know they may need this day! And may their lives be full of your peace, prosperity and power as they seek to have a closer relationship with you. Amen.
0 Kudos
pat3

I have lung cancer
0 Kudos
sue10

Recently diagnosed with early stages of emphysema. Doing this for myself and my family. No more burn marks on my clothes. No more smelling like an ash tray and worrying about who smells it. No more "fear" of running out of cigarettes for the day. No more of feeling like a social outcast. No more dirty looks. No more water leaking in my car window while it's open to smoke when it's raining. No more stanging outside in the freezing cold just to catch a few puffs.
  No more smoking, I am committed as a non smoker. It is very hard sometimes, but I know I can beat this.
0 Kudos
spunkie

Very simple I WANT TO LIVE  ..... I have every lung problem except cancer it is time to quit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SMOKE FREE AND LOVING IT .... JUST.... PAYING IT FORWARD !!!!!!!

0 Kudos
scout

Group,

Know this is what I was looking for, the reasons , thats what this is all about, those weak moments when we say man I sure could go for a smoke, we have to remember the reasons we quit, all the reasons I quit all of you have already written. suzanne Bridgeland sums it up the best for me, but I thank you all for reminding me, the reasons.

2months as of today

scout

0 Kudos
Susan57

The reasons why I quit:

I love my husband, myself, my life, my family, my friends, and what I can do to make their life better.

My decision to stop was always hanging over like a qotation, the hardest part was to grab it for the beginning, which is the toughest part of the quit. Now that 91 days have gone by, smoke-free, the part of believing I no longer smoke is phenomanal,I never thought this could ever happen. I did this without pills, patches, or any help. My last cigarette was August 31st, at 11:15 pm, so today it is 91 days, I will never smoke again. My health is good and would like it to stay that way, 6 days a week I walk 3 miles in the morning and try to watch what we eat everyday. Life is good, I WILL NEVER TAKE ONE PUFF, have a good day, Susan

0 Kudos
scout

Just a update, today is my 3 months without a smoke, I feel so much healthier, no more hacking , that alone is so worth it, wish me luck

0 Kudos