cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Losing my mind

Jump to solution

I’ve been on 7mg patches for over 3 weeks now and the withdrawl is the worst it’s ever been.  I’ve called quit coaches, seen a doctor (mine was not available so so this one got into tests and scary stuff) and I know it is exactly when I dropped from 14’s to 7’s.  I’m very confused as to why my body hasn’t adapted better.  One quit coach suggested  this   Is the actual quit as the 14’s had me at my smoking level.  Not to ever invalidate anyone’s quit, but I did read having an anxiety disorder complicates this more.  Makes sense what was once under control with meds change combined with the anxiety that comes with withdrawl anyw ay.  I guess this is a redundant topic for me.  Sorry about that. Just so tired of feeling loony tunes and wanting to rip my hair out.  I guess I could go back to 14’s and see what that does.  But that means facing this again possibly.  Has anyone had this last longer than the so called norm?  I figured 2 weeks or so of it being very tough, but this is getting unbearable.  The sweats are one of the worst symptoms to emerge as well as extreme impatience with tasks and people.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Lauralives

Sweet Gwen, I know you have heard this before but it is worth repeating.  NRT's can be helpful but they do prolong the inevitable.  Eventually you do have to go through the pain of withdrawal and it sucks.  My anxiety was exacerbated by nicotine but it took some time for me to discover that.  I am sending you strength, love and truth.  Keep reading, keep writing, get exercise, and take those walks, drink water and remember you are in charge of your health, your thoughts and your decisions.  NOPE is the only way!!  Hugs!!

View solution in original post

39 Replies
MarilynH

I don't know anything about the patches BUT I'm sure someone will be right along that knows about them, I just wanted to say that I know the feeling of Looney tunes from early weeks of my my quit feeling fine one moment and the next I might feel like laughing and then I'd be blatting like a baby and the then I'd want to scream and tear my hair out or rip someone's face off anyone's face it really didn't matter who's face so I'd come here and blog and there was always someone here to help get me through ,here's a huge caring hug coming your way Gwenivere .....

Barbara145

Hi.  Sorry you are still having trouble.  I smoked about 2 packs a day for many years.  I stayed on the 21 mg patch for months.  It was still difficult but not as much difficulty as you seem to be having.  Your answer is somewhere.  Keep seeking.

anaussiemom

I have been on 7mg for a while no different.  Yes I have urges, and it is par for the course of addiction and changing behavior patterns, I am sure for me.   If you  can not exercise, walk,  how about lifting soup cans, with your arms or hands with so many reps, just to get some feel goods, and help you to feel accomplished in small moments? Or whatever your preferences are to get some feel goods in your brain.   We all have to have some feel goods, especially with  stopping addictions... MHO

Gwenivere

Yeah Kimmy, I gotta find something to do but sit or limp around.  I do a lot with my upper body, but not enough it tells me.  Aging alone really sucks.  Thanks for the idea.

indingrl

CONGRATS AND GOOD JOB IN PROGRESSING IN YOUR PLAN TO BE NICOTINE FREE- WAY TO GO!!!

Gwenivere

i have my doubts I can achieve that right now.  I’m barely hanging in at 14mgs per day down from about 21.  The 7mg patch seems like nothing, but a grief support guy I know said this proves I am detoxing.  If I could use lozenges alone I would but thier tricky because they mess up your digestion from your saliva.  Also too much of them mimics not enough nicotine.  What a mess!

0 Kudos
BugsNBats14

I started on 14 mg first month. 

Then 7 mg second month.

I am still on 7 mg patch and on DAY 61.

Afraid of relapse, plan to cut my 7 mg in half, rather than let go the patch now. It has helped me a lot with the habits of smoking and the nicotine, but I still want one VERY MUCH when stressed, anxious, etc. Not a single puff in 61 days.

Smoked for 45 years.

We CAN do this!

It"s a bitch to quit, but we must be tougher.

anaussiemom

Studies suggest take your time with NRT's.   Your chances of succeeding are even better, just to go longer on low dose NRT's  BugsNBats14   Hugs.

0 Kudos
Gwenivere

Everything I have read said not to cut the patches.  Guess it can get into your system too quickly and affect the way the nicotine is delivered continuously.  Your body will tell you tho.  I It depends on that seal all around it.  There are changes in the thinking of the program timeline.  You can take longer than the weeks they say and my doctor confirmed that.  Yes, it is nicotine, but the smoke is what is the real danger.  I started at 14 and used them for 8 weeks to give my body time to adapt.  I’ll stay on 7’s for the same reason, it’s been almost 4 weeks, or maybe try the suggestion to go a few days without.  it took me 44 years to get here so I’m not going to rush getting out.  I consider the drop to 7’s  in February my true quit because it was a 50% drop and my body is in rebellion.  Big time!