cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

julie55

Help Me~I'm about ready to lose my mind

I "quit" cold turkey yesterday. Yes, a Sunday. My biggest stressor is my work and I'm SO fighting the urge to go have a smoke.

I'm about ready to lose it. NEED HELP!! Encouragement!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
formykids

Julie,

I quit last night, crushed up the last pack, and went and bought some nicorette. Find something to do as a 5 minute break, have some gum, or candy, or anything.
0 Kudos
curt2

Hang in there. Remind yourself why you are quitting. Go for a walk eat a healthy snack. or get some nic gum. I understand on my 2nd day...i had a craving this morning and took it out at the gym. it worked....good luck......we must not keep the cycle of quiting later going....or something will happen that will make us quit on our way 2 the grave. This is your last time quitting!!!!!!!!
0 Kudos
julie55

Thanks everyone. I broke down and 1/2 of one........................I couldn't even smoke the whole thing.........

Is that a good sign?? I hope, I hope.
0 Kudos
ellen3

Don't smoke...each hour that goes by your body heals itself...BREATHE!!!!
0 Kudos
sarah31

Julie, have you thought about other things to do when you're stressed? I am quitting on Monday, and I know stress will be a problem for me, too. There's a post on my blog here about different things to do instead of smoking.. I hope some of those suggestions can help.
0 Kudos
rob17

Hi Julie,

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I hope your day is going better than it was. Yes, stress is a huge trigger. There are many things that can help with that. I find deep breating, fresh water, or even just getting up and walking around helps.

Also (and this goes for anyone reading here), we've started a group called June Buddies for the purpose of providing a source of support for people quitting in June. Please drop by and request an invitation to join if you're intesterested.

Cheers,
Rob
0 Kudos
julie55

Thank you Sarah!!
0 Kudos
andrea15

Ok. Breathe. You can do this. Are you allowed to have music at work? That always works for me. Sing some music that you absolutely love. You will get into it. If one of your triggers is co-workers who smoke, or a stressful atmosphere, keep in mind what it tells us to do. Wait 5 minutes, then 10 then 5. After that your urge might be gone. Start a conversation with someone about something that you are passionate about. You can do it Julie. Don't give up on yourself. Quitting cold turkey is so hard but imagine how you will feel if you don't have a puff. You will feel so proud that you went over that milestone. Be positive. Give yourself a pep talk. You can do it and we are all here for you!! Good Luck!!
0 Kudos
julie55

Hey Andrea,

Thanks so much.

The problem is that I work for myself from my home. I'm alone most days of the week and I sit in front of a computer all day. There's no one to talk too, except the dogs and they just don't understand!!

Seriously, I did join a gym so I'm getting out 3 days a week now but I'm still stuck in front of this computer for 7 hours a day, 3-4 days a week and when I'm done (job is very mentally challenging) I don't feel strong enough to fight that stupid urge!!!

Is quitting cold turkey the BEST way to go??

I had 1/2 of one today.

😞
0 Kudos