cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

nonsgm

Need support

Haven't been on here since May when I was so tired of fighting to not smoke after 5months  But I'm happy to report I tried one and didn't like it it did nothing for me so I slapped a 7mg patch on Now going on the 7 month and the acid reflux is at its worst caused by allergies they say that cause the inflamation  Meds not working, so hard to eat I never realized how much the brain and the stomach are related so causing a lot of panic and how did I deal with a panic feeling before ? With cigarettes !! Now fighting the urge for a month now all day everyday ! Any one else have this problem ? All help appreciated Thank you

0 Kudos
25 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the community. I'm sure several people will be along shortly to respond.  

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
nonsgm

Thank you Mark!

0 Kudos

Listen to Nancy, she'll be right along.

0 Kudos

What meds are the giving you for the reflux?

0 Kudos

Eat your heaviest meal in the late morning when you will be upright and active.

I get up at three so I usually have coffee at 3:30 after I've taken my Omeprazole and waited 30 minutes. A small croissant an hour later

At 10 I take all my meds before having my heaviest meal. It could be a steak or whatever meat but make it your heavy meal of the day.

2:30 I take my second Omeprazole

3pm is usually my last meal of the day. That way I'm not laying down on a full stomach too early.

Raise the head of your bed as much as possible with bricks or books or buy leg risers.

If possible, sleep on your left side. The valve that lets the stomach acid back up into your esophagus is on the right side so when you sleep on your right side the acid is almost guaranteed to back up.

nonsgm

dexilant and a natural one called 360 acid reducer

0 Kudos

I'm not personally familiar with either of those.

I believe omeprazole is the generic for prilosec.

The normal dose is 20mg a day.

They have me taking 4x's that much a day.

Ask them to adjust your meds?

0 Kudos

First off, CONGRATULATIONS on five months of freedom!! That is indeed an accomplishment! For me, I knew that stress and anxiety was a trigger. It was something I worked on before my quit. The thing is that you're telling yourself that the cigarette is the only way to deal with stress. Often in a quit, we discover that the fight is not so much with addiction as it is a fight to accept change. 

When the mind uses the same thing over and over again to create a given result, we can get kind of stuck. For me, I found visualization to be key to changing my thought patterns. I simply closed my eyes and created a scene with my mind, down to the most minute detail. When I'd open my eyes, I'd feel better.

It doesn't have to be that technique but the idea is to distract yourself from the crave. Lot's of people do deep breathing, or go for walks but your situation is kind of unique since your stress is coming from bodily discomfort, so in a way the trigger is always with you.

Eventually you will disassociate the stress from the trigger, simply by practice. The main thing is that you continue to do the incredible job you're doing and stay quit! Please come by often! We're here to help. And as Mark said, they'll be plenty of people along shortly to offer their own perspectives.

In the mean time, ti's a pleasure to meet you! 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking!  Perhaps you are thinking about smoking all the time because you have been trying to white knuckle through the quit.  There are easier ways to do this ---- please do the reading so you understand what is going on.  As far as the stomach issues, smoking DOES aid digestion and it will take a bit for your body to adjust to live without it.  There are hints on how to eat to prevent the reflux.  Others with better knowledge than I should address that.

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

0 Kudos