cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TigerCub

Landmark Cravings. and need support

Hi,

I am quitting and doing a good job but my hardest days seem to be getting through the “landmark” days, day 13 and 14 (2 weeks) and now day 20 is really tough going on 3 weeks (21 days).  I am using patches and Zyn pouches and gum occasionally so I know this has got to be in my head. Anyone else experience “landmark” cravings?

thanks

carolyn

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Barbscloud

@TigerCub  Welcome back and glad you haven't given up on your quit.  Reread the material we sent when you were here before. There's lots of great advice and tools to use.

Cravings can last 2 -3 weeks as the nicotine fades from your body.   I don't think what you're experiencing is unusual.  

What To Expect In The First Four Months - EX Community

It takes some work, so hang in there . You can to this.  Stay close this time and reach out for support.

Barb

YoungAtHeart

If you are using NRT's, the craves you are experiencing are more coming from the psychological part of the addiction.  Change up your routines, stay distracted, stay busy, sip on water.  Don't let the crave take over your thoughts.  DO something to get your mind on something else.  WORK at this!  Counting backwards from 10,000 works, so does thinking of boys'/girls/city and states for each letter of the alphabet.  Take a walk, or march in place, or play a computer game or clean out a drawer..

Do be careful using all those quit aids that you aren't getting too much nicotine.  It can make you antsy!  Withdrawing from nicotine is a bit of a challenge, but not something to be feared -so don't overdo the aids.

21 days is HUGE!  Congrats on that!  Keep going!  It will get easier!

Nancy

TigerCub

Thank you @Barbscloud and @YoungAtHeart 

@I am now on day 30, another landmark!! But your advice really helped. Moving into “No Man’s Land” was a concept I hadn’t heard before but I read through everything you sent and it helps me feel like I am not alone, like I kind of know what to expect, which makes all the difference in the world. 

@YoungAtHeart you mentioned being fearful of the withdrawal and I realized I am. I have been over using the NRT and actually when I read your words lying in bed I spit out my lozenge and decided I could sleep without it. And I had the best night sleep yet. Living in fear of this “no man’s land” and not even knowing I was doing so. 

thank you both for your knowledge, and I still use @Barbscloud breathing circle 

to health and another day 

TigerCub

maryfreecig

One of the realities about quitting is that our quits take place one step at a time, one day at a time. It is said around here that quitting is not an event, it's a journey and it is. Your quit is about you smobering up one day at a time. Be patient and reward yourself with something for all the work you are putting in to quit. Congratulations on 30!!! Fantastic!!! 323904809_1208377589770425_5267243791019261933_n.jpgmaryfreecig_0-1672683892817.jpeg316218458_463466149244455_7344345187593041005_n.jpg

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Congratulations to you on 30 days being nicotine free.  You should be very proud of that accomplishment.  Quit day 125 for me, and I remember quit day 30.....Woo hooo a whole month of saying NO! to that monster.  The monster wasn't controlling me anymore!  I was telling the monster where to go.  Very happy for you!  Reward yourself cos you know what you went through to get to 30 days of  no nicotine.  One puff always leads to another, and you stopped the cycle.  

0 Kudos