cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

aroutt1

Serious nic addict. Need support.

Hello. I’m new here. I started smoking over 10 years ago then switched to vaping when those came out. It has taken over my life. I feel like I live to vape. Have tried quitting multiple times before but can never make it past that 3 day mark. Here I am at the 3 day mark once again but it’s little different this time, because I decided to invest in some patches. 

I had a rough morning. I am in a 2 hour physics lecture twice a week, and after that first hour and a half, my brain shut off. I was seeing stars and just couldn’t pay attention. I thought I was going to pass out. I went to the bathroom and felt fine in there so I went back in to class, and immediately felt like I was going to pass out again. 

i have very high anxiety (health anxiety and social anxiety). I was able to stick out the last 20 minutes, but I was not paying attention. I was only focused on the way I was feeling.

I feel like this has to be associated with the nicotine withdrawal. (I have on a 25mg patch) but I guess I’m still kind of withdrawing? I’m not sure. 

has anyone else experienced this “brain fog” when withdrawing? 

thank you so much. I have to break this cycle 

Labels (2)
8 Replies
Barbscloud

@aroutt1 Welcome to the Ex.  Brain fog is a well known withdrawal symptom from nicotine.  I don't know about your professor, but you might want to share your temporary brain fog is because you're doing something really special for your  physical and mental health.  It will be temporary, but well worth it. 

Other vapers have described what you have.  It seemed like a good idea to quit smoking, but often vapers are actually getting more nicotine than when they smoked.

It's not too late to late to  educate yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. What can you do instead of smoking? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

You might find this helpful from the Mayo Clinic to see of your on the right patch for vapers.

"If I vape, smoke cigars or pipe, or use chewing tobacco, how much nicotine replacement should I use when trying to quit?

Knowing how much nicotine replacement to use when trying to quit vaping, chewing, or smoking cigars or a pipe, is more difficult than when the tobacco user uses cigarettes exclusively.  The following are general recommendations when considering quitting these tobacco products and wanting to use nicotine replacement therapy (NRT).

For those who vapes, or uses a pipe or cigar, a good guide to NRT is the following:

If you are a non-daily user of vape, cigars or pipe, try a 2 mg nicotine gum, 2 mg nicotine lozenge, or the nicotine inhaler.  While those who vape are aware that different devices or nicotine liquids are advertised as having specific concentrations of nicotine, these labels cannot be relied on to estimate total nicotine exposure, so the general rule of trying the 2 mg nicotine gum, 2 mg nicotine lozenge, or the nicotine inhaler with those who are non-daily users is best.  The nicotine gum and nicotine lozenge are available over the counter.  You can use 1-2 pieces of the gum or lozenge every 1-2 hours.  The nicotine inhaler (available only by prescription) has a maximum daily usage is 16 cartridges per day.

If you vape, or use a cigar or pipe daily, you can also try adding a 14 mg nicotine patch to the 2 mg gum, 2 mg lozenge or nicotine inhaler.  Nicotine patches last 24 hours; so, you put it on in the morning, wear them to bed at night, and put a fresh one on the next morning.  A general recommendation is to taper down 7 mg on the patches every 4 weeks, and to use the patches for at least 3 months.

If you are getting too much nicotine, the symptoms would be dizziness or nauseousness.  In this case, you will want to consider stepping down on your patch, gum, or lozenge dosage.

Reference: Nicotine percentage replacement among smokeless tobacco users with nicotine patch - PubMed (nih.gov)

*Note: These are just examples. Please connect with a physician and the manufacturer of the NRT to ensure you're using the product correctly for your specific case."

Join many of us on the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Congrats on 2 days of success.  So proud of your effort to quit.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

aroutt1

Thank you so much for your kind words and the information! So far so good. I refuse to pick it back up this time. I will do whatever I have to so I really appreciate the help. 🙂

biscuit9

Brain fog is a common side effect of quitting nicotine.  You can do a search for it at the home page on this site.  Lots of quitters have described having brain fog.  You have a nicotine addiction and in order to break the addiction, you cannot smoke/vape.  One puff will always lead addicts, like we are, to another puff.  I understand how difficult breaking this addiction is, but you have to find a distraction, a healthy distraction, that will help you through this transition.  You have almost made it to THREE days, push through it.  Distract!  Walk the block, bite a lemon (some have), blow through a straw, suck on an icecube. Tell yourself, I DON'T DO THIS ANYMORE!  Say it out loud and mean it, because you don't do this anymore.  Read Allen Carr's book, Easyway to quit Smoking.  That is where I learned I am not giving something UP, I am gaining everything back....including control of my life.  When you are a nic addict, you are not in control.  I wish you well and I hope you can come on here and say you are 3 days smokefree.  

aroutt1

I appreciate your support so much. I refuse to pick it back up this time.  Thank you!!! I’m so glad I found this site 🙂 ❤️

maryfreecig

Getting over an addiction is a one day at a time journey. At first when I quit all I cared about was my smoking even though I was committed to quitting!!! I couldn't imagine that after decades of nicotine all day long that I'd ever adapt to a life without it. I didn't really remember what it felt like not to smoke!!! 

Thanks for telling your story, welcome to Ex and keep working on the quit you've worked so hard to get to. Yes you can do this.

Screenshot_20221025-074827.jpggoals.jpeg20220808_163610.jpg

0 Kudos
aroutt1

Thank you for the support. It’s now Day 4 😊

biscuit9

Wow!!  You made it past day 3.  Working on quit day #4.  You CAN do this, and you are showing yourself you CAN do this.  You have every single reason to quit.  Press on through the craves.  Break free from this addiction by not smoking.  One step at a time, one minute at a time.  Some people come here and type HELP when needed.  Celebrate those 3 days by the way.  Quit day 291.

0 Kudos
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@aroutt1 Kudos on getting to Day 4!! Hope the brain fog is lifting and you're feeling a bit better. Keep us posted how it's going.

- Megan, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team