cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Redsoxnut

First day

Day 1. Using the patch. Should I take it off tonight?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
freeneasy

I used the patch and left it on at night. 

0 Kudos
Redsoxnut

Thank you, I will try it. How long have you been a non smoker?

0 Kudos

I've used the patch in my two quits and the first time I left them on. The second time, I took them off at night, just for comfort. If it were me, and you're worried about the morning craves, I'd leave it on and if you get some discomfort or a lot of dreams that you don't want to have, then I'd go ahead and take them off at night. The idea of the patch is a steady stream of nicotine into the system rather then the peaks and valleys of nicotine that smoking causes, so if you do take the patch off at night, at least from my experience, you will get a slight rise in the feeling of nicotine in the morning. 

The most important thing in a quit is that you do what is best to stay quit! 

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Redsoxnut

Thank you so much!!! Feels good to talk to someone who's been there. No one in my house smokes!

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Are you in Boston? Sounds like you are in for a walloping good snow storm!  Won't it be nice not to have to go out in that to smoke???!!!

You have been given good advice about wearing the patch at night.  I would try it and see what happens.....Remember that it takes a bit for the nicotine to get into your system, so you will have to make plans of what you will do when you first get up to distract yourself if you decide to leave it off at night.

Glad you are here!  Keep asking the good questions, or for support when you need it.  somebody is usually around!

Nancy

0 Kudos
Redsoxnut

Yes I'm a little North of Boston & I believe it's going to be close to 2 feet of snow! I just got back from Florida,  what a welcome home! Thanku!! Danielle

0 Kudos
Barbara145

Hi Danielle.  Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking. Many  people have wild and crazy dreams with the patch on at night. Whatever you do don't smoke.  Come here often.  This site is at least as important as the patch.

Redsoxnut

Will do. Thanku!!!

0 Kudos
Giulia

If you do a search with the magnifying glass (upper right of the pencil icon) and just put in "the patch" or "patch" or something similar, you will be offered numerous blogs on the subject.  Here's one from just two weeks ago:  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/74203-should-i-wear-the-patch-to-bed The responses I think will help.  The more educated you can become, the better you'll be able to make smart  judgments.  Keep an open mind and take what works and leave what doesn't.