cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

GabbiBib

First day excuses

Today is my first day quitting vaping and using Juul pods. I am already trying to make excuses as to why I need more. Mostly it is because I work a very stressful job. I’m trying to use all the visualization techniques but so far they’re seeming a bit useless to me (not to be purposefully negative). I’ve taken a walk, I’ve had a snack, I’ve chewed gum, I’ve drank water. What can I do? I feel like a piece of trash human for being so useless, spineless, and weak against something so small. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
biscuit9

Quitting takes a bit of work.  Your mind will keep defaulting to nicotine, over and over and over.  USE your tools and distractions or nrt's.  You are UNtraining your smoking brain.  Remind yourself, I DON'T DO THAT ANYMORE.  Simple, but it works to reroute your thinking. You will receive some good advice on distractions, gum, hard candy, etc.  I know having a stressful job will bring added challenges, but if you have made up your mind, you can beat this addiction.  You are not weak and spineless, you are a nicotine ADDICT.  You have used nicotine for everything in your past and it takes some work  to deal with those cravings.  You will have to reward yourself differently and you will learn to handle stress differently.  We call this hell week.  Stay strong.

Barbscloud

@GabbiBib Welcome to the Ex and congrats on this major decision you've made for your life and health.  This is not small,  This is one of the hardest addictions a person can face in their lives so don't feel weak.   The first days are really difficult so be proud of yourself for taking this first step to becoming an ex. 

Excuses are normal.  You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking. What can you do instead of vaping? Change up your routine. Go for walk, read material on the Ex, if you drink coffee, for example, drink it in a different place, etc. Be creative.

And you just found an amazing group of quitters here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex. There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey. We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track. https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.

Stay close and reach out for support.  I learned it was one of the major keys to my success after smoking for 50 years.  You got this and we're here cheering you on.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos
MarilynH

How are you doing this evening @GabbiBib ? 

0 Kudos
GabbiBib

It was a tough day. I got nothing accomplished at work and started panicking that I couldn’t quit bc I couldn’t allow my work performance to suffer. After reading more about the patch and gum, I decided to give it a go. Then I walked for a mile and did some stretches as well. So far I have made it through my first 24 hours. I still feel weak for not being stronger but facing that is the only thing I can do for now. Thanks for checking on me 🙂

MarilynH

Congratulations @GabbiBib for turning your day ONE into day WON! That's awesome stay close and reach out whenever you need to or just want to vent we're all here to help you in any way we can, you've got this! 

Barbscloud

@GabbiBib Along with doing the work, aids have helped many of us be successful quitters.  There are many options.  I used Welbutrin and nicotrol inhalers.

Can you share with your boss that you're quitting vaping?   Many people will be understanding that this temporary.

Keep up the good work and keep us updated.  Remember we're here for you, so reach out before you consider vaping.

Super congrats on your first day won!

Barb

0 Kudos
biscuit9

24 hrs is a wonderful start.  Don't be hard on yourself, you need to be kind to yourself, praise yourself for those 24 PLUS hours, by now.  You took the time to read about the aids, good for you!  Distract.  Delay.  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@GabbiBib How are you doing?   We're here for you if you need some support. 

Barb

0 Kudos