cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Cravings

First day and I am craving craving craving. 

23 Replies
maryfreecig

Nicotine causes addiction. Cravings are normal and will not last forever. Deal with them by staying busy and active. Breath deep. Chew on a straw--stay invested in your quit and Ex. Read, read, read. Learn, blog more. 

Remember why you want to quit. Saying NOPE--not one puff ever is a mantra to use as a reminder of what you've got to do. 

Take it one minute at a time and then stack those minutes into hours and the hours into days! You can do this!

Keep Reading:

Best of EX

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s...Mollybiscuit413 

Glad you found our site...hon...cravings and triggers are tough, but to be expected.  Preparation and knowledge are the key...if you didn’t already, please read at My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX also, it is important that you replace smoking with healthy habits...(ie., support others on this journey, take a walk, clean the oven, clean the shower, take a shower, drink water, do a puzzle, etc.,) have a list ready...hang in there ... it takes baby steps...one step in front of the other...Gotcha in my Thoughts ~ Colleen 209 DOF 

/blogs/Maggie_quit_8-1-2010-blog/2012/03/19/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoking?sr=search&searchId=e... 

YoungAtHeart

The first days of a quit are difficult - no two ways about it - but lots of us here made it through and you can, too.  Keep a cold bottle of water handy from which to sip, a written list of your reasons for quitting to reinforce your decision AND a list of distracting activities.  Don't let that smoking crave rattle around in your head unchecked.  Get busy!  Slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, are always available to you and are a proven way to get through a crave.  Exercise is also a great crave buster - even marching in place works.

Get through these early days the best way you can - but get through them you must to have a successful quit.  Don't let Big Tobacco win!!!

One day, sometimes a minute or an hour at a time is how we all did it.  I KNOW you can, too.

Hang in there!

Nancy

gregp136

Ride them like waves...

Time, them how long, rate one to 10, write it down.

Yell at them.  I said yell!!! at them!  LOUDER!!!!!!

The nicotine bully will try to convince you they will not end.  That is a lie.  They come and go, and decrease, and you will do this!  

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestions. Got out of my house went to my mom’s for dinner. I got out some knitting and crocheting books as my niece is having a boy and I have a blanket to make. That will keep my hands busy. This sucks but I did it before and i’ll do it now. I know tomorrow if it’s like the first time my peripheral vision gets weird. Strange side effect. Thank you you all.

Mandolinrain

Vicks Vapor Rub . I swore by it. Thats stuff killed my craves immediately.  I had those little blue bottles everywhere around the house and even bought a Vicks inhaler when I would be out in public and didnt want to smell like a medicine chest. I can't explain why it worked, but I read an article on it somewhere on the internet and gave it a go. I kept a bit under my nose when ever the craves got bad. Deep breathing ( Slow inhale through the nose, exhale slow out the mouth) also was good and I kept a very very clean house.

elvan

It will get easier, I promise, if you stick with it and recognize your growth.  Remember that no crave ever killed anyone but no one can say that about cigarettes.  Stay close by, we are all here supporting you.

Ellen

Thank you Ellen will check in tomorrow. I think I can actually sleep now.