cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

mesmereyes

No cravings but I feel terrible!!

Hello! I'm new here. I'm on Day 3 of quitting. I've been smoking for 16 years. I'm using some 2 mg nicotine gum, and now I'm not having much cravings. I only chew about 2-3 per day. Anyway, I'm writing here because I feel terrible, almost sick. My head is killing me. My headaches aren't relieved with Ibuprofen. I'm tired, I'm lightheaded, lots of gas. I just don't feel good and staying home today. Is this normal? Should I up my use of the gum to curb these side effects?

Also, how in the world do you deal with the irritability/impatience? I'm snapping at my son and husband and losing patience when I usually wouldn't. It's sooooo annoying because I don't really feel that way!

Labels (2)
6 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

Congrats on getting to your 3rd day of quitting! It's normal to feel some changes in your body as it adjusts to not smoking. 

What you are experiencing sounds like it could possibly be a sign of nicotine withdrawal and increasing the amount of gum you use may help with those headaches if you are only using a couple pieces a day. Typically the recommendation at the beginning of the quit is to use 1-2 pieces every 1-2 hrs.

Look at the use instructions on your box of nicotine gum and also this info may help from the EX site:

https://www.becomeanex.org/quitting-medications/over-the-counter-otc-medications/how-to-use-nicotine...

Let us know how it goes!

~Margaret, EX Community Admin Team

EX Community Admin Team
mesmereyes

Thank you so much! Nicotine withdrawal isn't dangerous like other withdrawals (alcohol, etc) right?

0 Kudos
Giulia

Day three is now done, yes?.  Bravo!   Glad you're not having a lot of cravings.  The physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are many.  And varied.  I can't vouch for the particular list below but there are other members here who have such lists and hopefully they'll present them.  But I know that others have complained about the same symptoms (headaches gas, irritability) that you are are currently experiencing.  So in my experience after 15 years on this site (and a 17 year quit) is - unfortunately, yes, it's quite normal what you're going through.  The happy news is... it will change!  And the symptoms will pass with each day you remain smoke free.  So hang in there.  I'll let someone else address the irritability factor.  In my opinion only - nicotine withdrawal isn't dangerous at all.  We just have to get accustomed to our new lives without the thing we've been doing day in and day out for years and years and years.  You just keep going.  Because you're making it happen.  Ya know?

https://www.goodrx.com/conditions/smoking-cessation/nicotine-withdrawal-symptoms-timeline 

"Along with increased appetite and weight gain, other physical symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are:

• Nausea and vomiting

• Dizziness

• Headaches

• Constipation

• Sore throat

• Gas or diarrhea

• Chest tightness

• Dry mouth

• Nasal drip

• Tremors

Barbscloud

@mesmereyes Welcome to the Ex. and congrats on your commitment to quit. Everything you're experiencing are normal withdrawal symptoms from nicotine, even being irritable.  Withdrawal peaks at about three days as you continue to wean off of nicotine over several weeks.   The psychological part of quitting can take much longer.  No it's not dangerous. 

This isn't easy and does take some work.  Right now, you're working through the process of your desire to quit and the addiction wanting  you to keep it up.  You can win that internal battle by educating yourself about nicotine addiction and putting a plan in place with how you'll deal with cravings, identifying your triggers and creating the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.  

And you just found an amazing group of quitters the are here to support you on this journey to becoming an Ex.  There will be ups and downs, but that is part of the journey.  We're here for you, so just reach out anytime we can help or want to share your experience.

This link is a great place to get you started on the right track.  https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

This is doable with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years to get it right because I skipped these two steps. in the past.  This time I was lucky to find the Ex and learned how to quit.   

Join many of us on the  Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.  One day is all you have do right now.

Congrats on 3 days of success!  You're off to a fabulous beginning on your journey to become and Ex.

You might find this post helpful to share with you family about what you're experiencing.

Letter to a Loved one when you're quitting

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

biscuit9

Hopefully your family, by now, realizes that your emotions are very raw, as in your have no filter.  That is normal and you really can't handle any kind of stress, very well.  The transition from a smoker to a nonsmoker is not necessarily an easy ride, but is extremely worth it!  You have everything to gain from quitting.....breath, improved health, being a good example to your son, etc.  Smoking is also self-harming.  I tried to stay in my happy place and I prayed alot and sought God's help, to get me through the cravings, is how I had to deal with it.  You WILL get to a better place, but it takes time.  Quit day 293

Hollitr42

Congrats on quitting. I quit chewing April 21 2023 and I still crave at certain times but not as bad. Hang in there. It takes awhile to get out of your system. After 7 days it gets better. HANG IN THERE