cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Deb341

Bad cravings Recovering from surgery

Quitting smoking is a dual journey for me.  I had tendon surgery 6 months ago that was botched and because of it I need two surgeries on my left foot. Both are major.  Surgeon said that due to hardware to be used it was critical to quit smoking so I did.  I quit 30 days ago.  This is day 3 after first surgery, I’m bored. I’m in pain and my craving to smoke is bad.  

I kept reminding myself that before the first surgery I had to make a choice to either smoke or walk.  I chose to walk and still do.  However the devil on my left shoulder says just one won’t hurt 

I remind myself that even if I smoke it will taste terrible because I am still taking the Chantix and the more difficult surgery where they will cut off my heel and slide it is even more difficult to recover from. But the craving still there.  My daughter broke her addiction to drugs and smoking and I can do this not just for me but for her too.  

I pray for stength

Labels (1)
8 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Way to come to the community when you needed support. It's great that you are choosing your health over your addiction. The new you is prevailing! Way to go!

EX Community Admin Team
Deb341

Thank you 🙂

0 Kudos
SuzyQ411

@Deb341 

Great news that surgery #1 is done.

I can 'hear" that you're worried and anxious (and even bored?)

And that you are craving a cigarette --   the nicotine's addict's go-to drug of choice when under pressure..

Addiction always hits us below the belt,

attacking us in our weakest of times. 

So, take a slow deep breath and then pat yourself on the shoulder for reaching 30 days smoke-free!!

Whatever happens, please don't compromise your hard-earned 30 days of freedom.

Starting over after a relapse is not an easy task, and who wants another Day #1 anyway?

HANG IN THERE.

FIND SOMETHING TO DISTRACT YOUR MIND FOR WHEN YOU ARE HAVING CRAVINGS,

(such as choosing a color and then counting all the things in the room that are of that color.)

Take more deep breaths

AND

snoopy.woodstock.stay calm.prayers.jpg

❤️

Barbscloud

@Deb341 So glad you stopped by with an update.  Happy that your first surgery is behind you. You've been a success preparing for your first surgery, so I have not doubt you can do it again. 

Have you read about No Man's Land?  If doesn't happen to everyone, but it's good to be aware of it.    No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Try to find some things to keep you occupied while you're recuperating.  I still play video games.  The time just flies.

Super congrats on 30 days of success.  One month is a major achievement.

Barbscloud_0-1676128592146.jpeg

Barb

0 Kudos
Deb341

@Barbscloud wrote:

@Deb341 So glad you stopped by with an update.  Happy that your first surgery is behind you. You've been a success preparing for your first surgery, so I have not doubt you can do it again. 

Have you read about No Man's Land?  If doesn't happen to everyone, but it's good to be aware of it.    No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

Try to find some things to keep you occupied while you're recuperating.  I still play video games.  The time just flies.

Super congrats on 30 days of success.  One month is a major achievement.

Barbscloud_0-1676128592146.jpeg

Barb

Tysm!  Your kind and caring words helped me stay on track and I didn’t smoke !

0 Kudos
Deb341

Tysm!  I made it through the cravings without giving in and yes I am a little panicky abt second surgery.  In that one they will break off my heel and bones in bottom of foot and relocate.  I’ll be in wheelchair for 4 to 6 months.  I promised myself I wouldn’t go to through all this and the surgery not work because I smoked, thus, I quit!  

tyam again for your support 

0 Kudos
biscuit9

Don't smoke.  You will be so glad you did not give in.  The craving won't last long, and your body will heal so much quicker.  

0 Kudos
Deb341

Tysm for your help and support!  I can’t believe I made it !  

0 Kudos