cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

melody4

need some support!!

I am going to quit smoking on June 1st...How do I do it??? I need some input and advise. My husband hates me smoking he is totally tabacco free. My daughter is learning about drugs in school and she tells me I need to quit because cig's are drugs...and she is right, It is a horrible addiction that kills people. I am a habbit smoker, and I also enjoy it at times, I feel that it relaxes me when I am stressed. I do not smoke in my house or around my kids. That has made me realize that I even hate it more because it takes time away from my family because mommy is outside smoking. Please help me guys...I need a boost!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
melissa41

Jessica, Jessica!!! Hello...It's Melissa....you MADE me sign up for this, so here I am. YES, you are right, staying busy keeps the cravings down. And I KNOW you think I should gain weight, but me gaining 6 pounds in 3 weeks is HORRID!! Now....how do I keep the weight down now that I've pretty much quit? You've quit before, but I never have. I was always afraid I'd gain weight because your metabolism slows down.....AND I HAVE!!!!!!

Do the math.....2 pounds a week for 52 weeks.....thats 104 pounds a YEAR!!!! OMG!!! Help me with the weight thing PLEASE!!!! At that rate I'll double in size by next summer!!!!

I'm here for ya if you need to talk....for anyone at that matter....I'm gonna be on here complaining a LOT!!! So I'm more than willing to put in my time as a shoulder to lean on!! (cause I'll need a few too)

TTYL,
Lissa
0 Kudos
jessica58

Melody, if you want to quit make sure that you want to! I am a mom of 2 boys ages 8 & 10, and they have been hounding me for sometime to quit. I have tried many times before, and always failed. I am trying again using the patchand as long as I drin lots of water, exercise, and eat some fruits or veggies, I am hoping to succeed this time. I wanted to quit, but always felt like I would fail again. So my sister and I made a bet to see who can quit the longest. I was serious, but she wasn't. Sometimes letting family and friends know that you are trying helps. People will be proud of you for trying. I know my co-workers are. And you will see how much extra time you have when you aren't smoking compared to when you did. It is AMAZING. Needless to say it has only been 3 days for me, but I am loving the extra time, and getting in shape at the same time. If you really want to do it, I believe you can! And try to have someone to talk to you when you do get the vcraving and get irritable, it helps!
Jessica
0 Kudos
jessica58

Lissa, watch what you eat. I have been eatin more carrots, celery, apples, drinking more water, and I am also working out. I walk the hospital at night when I am working. It is about the size of a football field track, and was told 4 laps around is a mile. Plus I am using my exercising ball at home. when I have a craving I exercise, grab a bottle of water, and sometimes a mint (mainly that one is to suck on something to get use to not having a cig in my mouth). Quitting smoking is changing your lifestyle a lot. But I believe you can do it! All of us can do it!
Jessica
0 Kudos
carrie14

Melissa, you are not going to balloon out and become a giant hefer. Just make sure youre trying to replace your smoke breaks with "good for you things". i.e bottled water, a walk around the block, brush your teeth, have a mint or gum! You can do it. Ive been smoke free for 3 weeks and I havent gained a pound 🙂 Im also 27 years old, so my metabolism isnt in tip top shape. Good luck to you!
0 Kudos
jessica58

Yeah Lissa! We can do this! When the kids are at school, just go for a power walk around your block. I walk the hospital at night 2 laps that equals half a mile! But school takes up most of my time when I am at home! lol
0 Kudos
miekko

HI Melody, I am new here to. Like you my oldest daughter's are learning about drugs in school, that cigarettes are drugs. I don't smoke in the house, the car, or anyplace that my children may be. I guess I am a habit smoker to. As a kid my parents smoked, my friends did it to we all just kind of started to do it together. When I get stressed out I start to feel like I absolutely need a cigarette, and like you I feel it relaxes me. I have tried many times before to quit, but never really fully succeeded.
I would like to help you, and maybe you can help me.
0 Kudos