cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tnjhoffman

Day 5

I can not believe I have not had a craving for a cigarette going on Day 5!! Now I can tell you I have been smoking 1/2 of a cigarette like cigar in the evening.  But I am feeling so much better and not as anxious. One second/minute/hour/day at a time!

9 Replies
YoungAtHeart

It might help for you to find something ELSE to do in the evenings instead of smoking a cigarette/cigar.  Maybe you can go for a walk, or join a gym and go there, or find an online yoga practice.  You might actually be getting the same amount of nicotine from the cigarette/cigar that you did from the three cigarettes you were smoking.

You are reenergizing the brain sensors every time you provide nicotine to them.  You need them to DIE  - and the only way to do that is to stop feeding them.  You are still an addict and overcoming that is really what quitting is all about.  

Give it some thought?!

Nancy

tnjhoffman

I was scared I would get an answer like this because I hate being wrong.  Everything you stated is true.... next step- going to try sucking my straw. I got this 

elvan

Nancy is right...you are temporarily settling those receptors and then reawakening them.  You really need to find something to do that does NOT involve nicotine ingestion.  Addiction is powerful and it will convince you that you are making progress even when you are still using.  I think it is JonesCarpeDiem‌ who says, "If you quit smoking and you are still smoking, you are doing it wrong." This has to be a full commitment...something has to take the place of that cigar/cigarette, something that does not keep the addiction alive and well.

Best to you,

Ellen

tnjhoffman

Thanks!  Leaning on this support for sure,

elvan

I am SO GLAD that is your response...seriously, you CAN do this, you do not need to feed the addiction, what you are doing is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Ellen

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

I'm glad you are here.  We LOVE to help!

0 Kudos
Kmarie82

I’m on day 3. To be honest I want a cigarette after every conference call, when I get home from work and any time I have a beer...

Funny thing is I’m a pharmaceutical representative for asthma and copd medications, leading and groundbreaking medications for a disease state I have been trained and specialize in. 

I wont smoke again, because I’m tired of hiding it and a little pissed off at the tobacco companies and myself

right now. But I saw your post and I thought I might have an accountability buddy here... but I know for me I can’t have a cigarette- even one... or a cigar... it’s got to be cold turkey for me. 

Im glad you aren’t having cravings, I feel pretty rotten these last few days personally. Here’s to hoping on day 5 I’ll feel like you do and have no cravings.

elvan

Kmarie82 Welcome to EX...WOW, a pharmaceutical rep for asthma and COPD meds...hey, I was an RN for 25 years and took care of many patients who were suffering from the consequences of smoking and yet I kept smoking.  I didn't even HIDE it...I just smoked wherever and whenever I could...NOW, I am paying for it, paying BIG TIME.  I have COPD, I am always short of breath and I am always tired.  I am on oxygen at night only...I had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed a year and ten months after I quit.  I had to have been quit for at least a year to be eligible for the surgery.  They stressed repeatedly that it is not a cure and that the best possible outcome would be a better quality of life for 3-5 years.  It has been almost three.  I definitely felt better earlier on than I do now, the disease progresses...much more slowly than if I still smoked and did not go to great extents to take care of myself by exercising regularly and eating a healthier diet.  I shudder to think where I would be or IF I would be had I continued to smoke.  You need to learn everything you can about this addiction, it IS an addiction...remember that.  YoungAtHeart‌ does a beautiful welcome and I am sure she will welcome you here...I know she will tell you to get all of the education you can, she will tell you to make a plan..have alternative things PLANNED to do instead of smoking when triggers occur...triggers are always going to occur. They will get weaker and less frequent when you stop responding to them by fighting them or feeling like you are about to lose your mind.  The trigger after a conference call is a reward cigarette and it is a hard one to get over but we do it, one day at a time, sometimes one crave at a time.  You can reward yourself with a wonderful Latte' or a piece of candy, a tall glass of very cold water.  Only you know what you would consider to be a real reward.  I ate a lot of Sour Patch Kids because they were so sour  that they reset my mind for at least a while..some days I apparently had more craves than others and my poor tongue and the roof of my mouth would be really sore...then I would remember why.  I kept frozen cherries and blueberries around in a little dish with a spoon available so I could snack on something a bit healthier. I took LOTS AND LOTS of deep breaths...I still do.  Deep breath IN, hold it and then exhale very slowly through your mouth through pursed lips almost like when you smoked.  I practice that breathing by blowing bubbles...recommended by my respiratory therapist to teach me to control my breathing and not exhale too quickly.  You can't make bubbles if you blow out too fast or too hard.  You already know about the reward cigarette and the beer...it is strongly recommended that you avoid alcohol at the beginning of a quit...alcohol is a known quit killer.  I have lost quits to alcohol and so have many people here.  You CAN do this...stay close to the site, read as many blogs as you can, read comments, comment yourself like you just did on this blog, see what is working for others.  Education, support, and commitment are your best friends and you can get the first two here...you need to bring the commitment.

Welcome and do reach out if you need help...my mantra when I started was NOPE, Not One Puff Ever.  It was simple and I could just say it to myself or softly or out loud and I was reminded of the journey I was on and WHY.  I did not want to keep feeding this addiction and making my COPD worse.  I wanted to take control of my life, you can too.

Ellen

elvan

Kmarie82  I see that you wrote a blog and YoungAtHeart‌ HAS welcomed you...you are on your way!  We are here, we all started at the beginning, some people used aides, some did not.  I did not but I have nothing against them.  I waited until I got so sick that I COULDN'T smoke...couldn't get out of bed and I never smoked in my home.  Again, welcome!

Ellen

0 Kudos