cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Amymcavoy

Just quitting in 5 days

Any trick on what to do with your hands when you quit smoking?

Amy McAvoy
Labels (2)
8 Replies
Maki

Sure , sip on lots of water throughout the day . Drink warm drinks like cinnamon tea ( cinnamon curbs cravings ) Use carrot sticks or celery slivers to munch on , frozen grapes , frozen blueberries , sugar free popsicles . Try a stress ball or a ping pong ball is fun too .Cut a straw length cigarette size and stuff  it with batten . Maybe fiddle with pretzels ( but watch calories and salt. ) Get doing some crafts . Play an instrument or learn one . Get house cleaning . Try your hand at art , painting , crocheting , or knitting . 
Congrats on choosing to quit . Sorry I know I’m being brief , others will get to you soon but just want to say hi and welcome . 
Journal your day and story . 

Barbscloud

@Amymcavoy Welcome and congrats on upcoming quits.  

Educate yourself about nicotine addiction and create a quit plan.  Many have found success with knowledge and preparation.   It took me 50 years and many attempts to finally get it. I went into my quits blindly and was never successful.  In addition to some aids, I found the Ex a week prior to my quit.  For the first time I learned how to quit and had the support that was always lacking.

This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Make the commitment and you can do this too.  We're here to support you on your journey.  So reach out anytime you need help, want to share your experience or to support fellow quitters. We're all in this together.

Join many  of us on the Daily Pledge.  It's a great way to stay on track on day at a time.

Look forward to celebrating in the 1st.

Here are few more things to do t keep you busy!

100 Things to do instead of smoke - EX Community

Stay busy and stay close.

Barbscloud_0-1696685313956.jpeg

Barb

biscuit9

@Amymcavoy  You are wise to be thinking about that, so keep those hands busy.  I wrote and rewrote encouraging phrases.  I also picked up my crochet needle and just starting crocheting (if you don't crochet, any kind of art project will do to keep the hands busy).

champsin97

As far as what to do with your hands, my go to has been chewing on a straw.  I'll treat it almost like a cigarette.  Bringing it up to my mouth to chew on.  Also typing on this site will keep you busy and keep your mind occupied.  There are lots of things you can do.

ReallyReal

Congrats on setting a quit date and preparing ahead of time for it.  I keep my hands busy with crocheting and I often have a pen in my hand when not crocheting--I just twirl the pen around in various ways.  This may sound odd, but I also decided to use a bright finger nail polish, which I've never done before-when I get antsy and fidgety the bright color on my hands catches my eye and it reminds me that I need to take action, to use something in my pre-planned tool box that will help me destress and distance myself from a crave.  There are so many different tools that different people use.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Amymcavoy good on you for creating a plan ahead of your quit date! There's been some great advice here already and this article on building a new habit loop might help as well: https://www.becomeanex.org/ex-resources/about-quitting/stay-quit/build-new-habit-loop/

Keep us posted on your journey!

- Danielle, EX Team

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
McMoney

I am shuffling a deck of cards right now.  Solitaire will be my chosen distraction for this fabulous Friday night.  🤘🏼

- Meriah
0 Kudos
ReallyReal

@Amymcavoy How are you doing?  I saw your quit day was 11/01 and I just wanted to check in with you.  Hope you're hanging in there.

0 Kudos