cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

misty4

Trying to quit again!

Last week, my husband out of the blue called me when he was at work. "I'm going to quit smoking." I replied "when" he replied, " I just did." This was a shocker. I know he is trying to become a police officer, and test date is coming up, but I thought he would quit then.. I don't know. We have our anniversary coming up. That is our fun smoking time. Our time without the kids! We are free for a couple days! Smoke wherever we want whenever we want! In the car ride to the hotel, in the hotel, every where, and anywhere. It's fun. Now I don't know how to let that go. After he quit, naturally everyone started asking when I am going to quit. It got me thinking. Now, really, I don't want to quit. Well, I do and I don't. I love smoking. I really love it. I love waking up in the morning going outside with coffee and smoking. I love smoking at night to relax. But I am 27(still pretty young), I have three beautiful children, a wonderful husband. I have been smoking since I was 13 years old (stopping only when I was pregnant). that is half of my life. I want to watch my kids grow up. I can't imagine if I wasn't here because of something so stupid. So I decided to quit. I talked to my doctor, and got on Wellbutrin again. (tried it last time I tried to quit smoking). Tomorrow will be day 7 on it. I have patches. I was going to quit Saturday, but honestly I go back and forth between "this isn't even fun anymore. Troy isn't even smoking, he thinks the cig taste in my mouth is starting to taste bad, it isn't a social thing anymore. this is just a pain. Let's get it over with and just quit."  I did that 2 days ago, put on the patch, lasted 8 hours, and told myself I would quit on Sat. I only have a few cigs left, and I really don't want to buy another pack so I have changed my quit date to tomorrow. I have huge anxiety just thinking about it. know it sounds weird but i have no idea how i am going to function. How do I get up in the morning without a smoke? What in the world will I do when I am bored? What will Troy and I do for 4 hours in the car to our vacation? Not smoke? How? How do I let go of such a friend. How do I comprehend the fact that the joyous smoke will no longer be. EVER? How do I deal with the kids fighting without taking a break outside to smoke? How in the world can I possibly make it through a day, a lifetime, without smoking again? Part of me is so ready, but the other part is FREAKING OUT!!! But if I'm not going to do it, when will I? Troy made a good point. Our daughter is almost 8. Do I want her to start smoking at 13? In 5 short years? No. I don't. I jsut don't know how to get past this anxiety. It's killing me. Will it go away???? Wow. That was long. Wish me luck. I am about to go outside and smoke. It's 7 pm. 11:59 pm and I will quit.

Pray for me,

Misty

0 Kudos
4 Replies

go to the blogs and post this.

you will get more people responding

0 Kudos
jerzygirl11

Hi Misty! I am almost 26 and I have 2 boys 7 and 1. I just had my last cig tonight at 10 pm. We can do this. Hey your husband quitting is the best support ever! My husband has neve voiced an concern about quitting. You can do this!! We can do this!! I am excited! Keep in touch! Jessica

0 Kudos
misty4

Hi Jessica! I just had my last one about 10 min ago! I am actually really excited to do this! I have 2 girls, a 7 year old and 6 year old, and a 3 year old boy! I am very fortunate to have my husband supporting me ( actually he quit first!) I know it will be tough but you're right we can do this! As a mom I want to see them grow up, and not see mommy smoking all the time. They're at the age where they know it's bad for you..I want to show them I can do it! Good luck!! Let me know how it goes! Its good to keep accountability!

0 Kudos
wanda4

It's one of the best decisions ever!!!!  Go for it, your still young, my reason for quitting has always been for my kids and my grandchildren, I do want to see them go to H.S. and get married, and I always thought if I didnt quit smoking I would probably do all of the above on a wheel chair and a oxegen tank hooked on to me, How awful is that??  Your on the right track....I too thought of how much I loved smoking, but I love life more...be strong, determined, dont look back, and go forward, you can do this!!!!   Good Luck." />

0 Kudos