cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

kjohngrass

Trying to quit, yet again.

My name is Kas, I live in PA and I have tried to quit 3 times, the farthest i got was 2 weeks. I am 20 years old and have been smoking for 2 1/2 years. My husband smokes and refuses to even try to quit.

My quit date is set for 10/11/12, I would like to make some support buddies before that though so that I have people to talk to through the cravings.

I need to quit for a few reasons. First of all, my health is not the best, and I don't want to make it worse. Second, I would love to save the money. Third, I am utterly disgusted with myself for falling into the habit that I have hated since I was 3.

I am scared to quit because there are so many things going on in my life right now that stress me out, but I need to do it. This is something that I want.

Help? Advice? Support buddies?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
peggyj

Hello.  I have een struggling with trying to quit for a year and a half.  I have been working with a phone counseler through my health plan.  Even though I haven't been totally successful yet, I am gaining useful insight and new skills to deal with quitting. 

By focusing more on the positive aspects of quitting, such as being able to breathe well, which in turn allows me to do things I enjoy such as yoga or swimming really strengthens my desire to quit.  When I focus on the negatives, such as disease, it just bums me out and doesn't lift my spirits.

As I thought about the positives, I wrote out this plan of action;  Good stuff:  breathing for well being, for yoga, for meditation, for swimming, for biking, for traveling….
-each day go outside and smell the roses!  Walk, water the plants, think about life & its glory

Smell,  smell the lake, don’t smell yucky from smoke, be more attractive to others--family, friends & others

Feel better all around, better healing, slower aging,  strength…check in with my body

Spiritual well being, feeling of acheivement, good role model, gain skills for healthy living
-read the Dalai Lama, check-in with folks on Become an Ex, set goals for health, celebrate!

Time gains--no concern with taking time to smoke, to buy cigs, more living in the moment

Sheer life possibilities improved - healthier daily living

Help others-show it can be done

Enjoy life more--freedom!

START TODAY!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pick a quit date--out of a hat

Begin to cut back based on goals

Move cigs away

Find ways to replace smoking behavior in all situations

Begin the patch therapy

Celebrate each change

Save the $

Share all

It WILL take work and sacrifice, but it is worth it, rewards are coming!!!!

Remember and celebrate nature

Keep up with friends

Go places where smoking is not allowed

I have set a quit date now, and have been setting goals & making small steps such as cutting back, participating in this exchannge and getting outside more.  Since I have based my quitting on these positives, I have new energy for quitting.  I know I will continue to struggle, ut this plan gives me hope!

Good luck everyone!

Peg

0 Kudos
shingobe70

Hi Kas,

My name is Lana, I'm 42 and I've been smoking longer than you are old!  😉   I have quit hundreds of times in the past, I always say 'quitting is the easy part, staying quit is the hard part.'  Even after losing family members - including my own dad - to COPD and lung cancer, it just wasn't enough to scare me straight.

Whatever you do, don't let your youth con you into thinking you're safe to keep smoking!  In 2007 I was 37 years old, and probably my lung doctor's youngest COPD patient.  Yes, I was diagnosed COPD before the age of 40 and only 2 months before this awful disease took my Dad from us.  Did that stop me from smoking?  Yes, for a while, then my brain talked me into "just one."  WIthin a few weeks I was back to 1 to 1-1/2 packs a day again.

This past weekend I came down with bronchitis yet AGAIN, and this time I'm just plain tired of being sick!  I smoked my last cigarette on Saturday 9/29/12 around lunch time and haven't had another one since then.

Like you, my husband has not quit and doesn't plan to quit, so I'm going it alone.  It's tough at times, especially when the hubs wants me to sit out in the "man cave" and listen to how his day went.  He's puffing away while he complains, so I sit close to the fan so the smoke blows away from me.  He actually teased me a bit when I first told him I was done with smoking, but after a few days he realized I was telling the truth and has kept the teasing to a minimum.  LOL

It takes a lot of self control to stay quit when you have a smoking spouse, and you really have to care for yourself.  Know you're doing this to make yourself healthier!  Everything smells better and tastes better when you quit smoking.  You can do it, do it for YOU, cuz your life and health are worth it!  🙂   Plus, there's just no easy way to match a purse and heels with a portable oxygen tank...

Good luck, keep us updated on your progress!

~Lana

0 Kudos
Giulia

Nothing to be afraid of, Kas.  Just takes a little discipline and some hard work.  It's scarier thinking about it than when you actually do it.  I'm not gonna lie to you, it's not easy, but just look around.  There are tons of people on here who had your same fear who are in all stages of the journey.  If they can do it, so can you!  The more you learn about the addiction, the better able you will be to combat the cravings and maintain your quit.  The link below will take you to other links that you can click on with regard to spouses smoking.  He's gonna be jealous when you achieve success!!!!

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/mrsclark-blog/2012/05/08/husband-smokes-also-no-disire-to-quit

0 Kudos
kjohngrass

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I hope I have the willpower to stay quit...im looking at the 11th on my calander like its doomsday! lol

0 Kudos