cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Megs08

Rage

Oh, the rage. Driving is the worst. I am the angriest driver on the planet. I don't know where it comes from. The person directly in front of, or behind me is the target, for no reason. I am not a confrontational person by nature. I've always been very easy going. I have tried to make conscious efforts to stop. Before I turn the car on I set the intention that I am going to be kind, I am going to be patient, I am going to be safe, but it hasn't failed that not even 2 minutes into any trip I become infuriated at the people around me, whether there is a reason to or not. I need this to stop. I am trying essential oils in the car, as I find they help around the house. I guess what I am hoping for are tips and tricks from anyone who has experienced this with their own quit. I want to be a kind human being. I want to make life easier for those around me. To build folks up. Not to be a negative moment in the day for anyone, including myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have never been so enraged. #roadrage‌  #rage

0 Kudos
49 Replies
GyorgyiM

Music itself is somewhat of a "drug" for me................I couldn't listen to music at ALL when I first stopped smoking. I was emotionally attached to nearly every song in some way or another and it triggered my cravings to want to smoke. So I listened to talk radio and also "self talk" which I did tons of the first few months. I took LOTS of deep breaths with slow exhales and just kept thinking that for all the discomforts I am going through what a wonderful reward is waiting for me once they pass.....

DO WHATEVER IT TAKES MY FRIEND......there is no such thing as CRAZY in your behavior when you stop smoking, you just do whatever works for you.

JACKIE1-25-15

My question is how was your driving rage before you quit smoking?

YoungAtHeart

You might try to find some relaxing music on YouTube to download.  I have some that are the sound of waves breaking, another of forest sounds. Visualize the place in which they were recorded, maybe?  They are helpful in the evenings if I am feeling stressed, too.

Rather than getting angry, can you try to come up with a story about the transgressor?   Do you think maybe their babysitter didn't show up and they are going to be late for work - again?   Or - they have to pee and still have 20 minutes before they can get relief?  Or they had an argument with their SO before they left home and are trying to process what caused it?  If you are busy making up a story, it will be more difficult to think about how angry they made you, maybe?

I would also always have a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip.....it's a simple mood changer, like slow/deep breaths.

This WILL pass - I promise!!!

Nancy

Gma_Bernie

255 days. And I am the angriest person I know except for one of my brothers. I fly into screaming rages and have given up cleaning and cooking. I can't do it anymore. But the problem is my husband can't cook. And the two grandkids, well one tries to help a lot, the other is useless. I get so hungry and my blood sugar gets so low because there's nothing good to eat in the house. If I go to the doctor, that's all I can do that day. I come home exhausted and lay in bed. Part of it is I just don't care anymore. Chronic pain emphysema you name it I got it. Just found out I have rheumatoid arthritis too.

I am frightened that this is the real me. That this is who I am without cigarettes. I too used to be kind and try to help others. But it just seems like I've only gotten sicker since I quit smoking. It doesn't make me want to smoke again but it pisses me off. I blew my wad. now it's time to pay the piper. My advice? Get out of the house. I once stayed angry so long I poisoned myself and was sick for days. It will eat you up

Hope you find a solution to your road rage. Sorry I had to vent.

Bernie

YoungAtHeart

Nobody, I repeat NOBODY, should have to go through life feeling as you do.  You need to talk this over with your doctor.  We self-medicated for depression/anxiety/mental health issues with nicotine.  When we stop using it, the symptoms of what we hid from are at the fore.  How you are feeling could also be caused by other medications you are on and their interactions.

PLEASE talk to somebody.  I hate to hear of anybody feeling so low.....I am sorry it is you right now.  You have my sympathy.

Please try to get help....and stay in touch with us, Bernie.  I care how you are.

Nancy

Gma_Bernie

Nancy,

Your open heart connects to me in a very real way. Thank you for caring. I

will write more later.

Bernie

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:14 PM Youngatheart.7.4.12 <

Bernie,

Can you get a worry stone to rub with your thumb and let it change your focus?

I seriously think something this simple could begin a change.

they have them on etsy or you can just use a round flat stone or a thicker piece of shell that has softened edges

0 Kudos
Gma_Bernie

Dale,

I am thinking about your suggestion and I do have something I can use. Will

try. Mouth sore from candy.

Bernie

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 8:22 PM jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007 <

0 Kudos
karenjones

you sound pretty together to me. but you must start getting proper nutrition.it is so important, and you will feel better and have more energy if you do eat properly. NO JUNK FOOD> Try just some boiled cabbage with butter and pepper. Make yourself eat some green peas, or broccoli.  You are what you eat and old sage said, and it is true. Is there a nutritionalist you can see at your local hospital?

0 Kudos