cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Quit Motivators

My reasons to quit smoking:
  Smoking contradicts the reason I pay $80 a month for my inhalers TO BREATH!!!
  Smoking causes skin to show aging earlier and I use Mary Kay to slow that process down!
  Smoking causes teeth to become stain and I use EVERY whitener to keep them looking good
  Smoking causes me to smell bad, and I have the greatest smelling shampoo and body wash sprays and lotions!
  Smoking costs me $120 or more a month and I am always whining about being broke!
  Smoking causes me to have a hard time working out, and I LOVE to stay in shape!!!
  Smoking is causing my granddaughter to imitate me! YUCK!!
  Smoking is slowly killing me-and I am not ready to die!!
  Smoking is going to be the reason I become one of those people who have an O2 tank every where they go-and I DO NOT want to be one of those people!!!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
82 Replies

i set my quit date as dec 31st 2012 and was on the web trying to educate myself on dealing with withdrawal when i came across EX.

i started smoking when my first relationship went south. i quit for about 3 years when i found my next guy and that didnt work out either and i went back to smoking.

i've had enough of using a smoke to run away from my problems. i want to face them and people as they are and i want to quit when i am single. 🙂

i also put on a lot of weight after my second relationship broke and i've wanted to start running for a long time now.

but i need my lungs to be stronger before i start running and this is why i want to quit smoking, for better health, better skin and hair and a beautiful me...

0 Kudos
brenda61

I am here because i really need to be here.  I have Copd and I have fought my way trying not to relapse.  No man' s Land is hard and I have two trigggers so far that threatens my quit.  One is anger and the other is death.  Sometimes my life is so complicated that I cannot even type the feelings I need to.  I have a deep down earnest need to quit.  I must quit.   If i have anger I can cool off as long as I am left alone.  Sometimes if you are trapped and can't get to your cool down zone or cannot make it to your computer to type and have support from Ex that's a bad thing.  Wish I had a computer I could wear around my neck on a necklace so I would have Ex near me at all times.   Thanks Candy for bringing me here.  God bless you.

0 Kudos
lgaboriault

I want to be here for my kids and grandkids! I am 61 and have been smoking for many years. My longest quit was for 6 months. I am here to start my forever quit. My grandkids are my world and are very active in sports. I find walking and climbing harder to do with my RA and Fibromyalgia, but smoking on top of these medical issues is the worst thing I can do. I am ready to now quit for good! I want to be here longer for my kids and grandkids!!! Louise 🙂

0 Kudos
lvs2rock

I want to Quit (already have 1am will be 24 hours COLD TURKEY) booyah! is because I need to end this struggle with this addictive drug. I never thought when I was a kid first lighting up that I would be going through this. I thought I could take it or leave it, didnt I prove that to be untrue over time. I am grateful for the wonderful support I have found here. Thanks to Candy for starting this group!

I know this is my forever quit, there is something very different about it this time.

Cheri

0 Kudos
betty3113

I want to quit because I have noticed that when I go to places Im the only one that smokes and at my work Im the only one that smokes too.  also a few months ago I started caughing alot and have been feeling tired all the time. 

0 Kudos
lovemlane

Hi,

The reason why I am quitting if because it is making me sick, I want to be around for my son, my grandmother died recently from cancer (she smoked since she was a teenager and did at 72), I cannot do the things I used too without feeling out of breath, I want to not have to worry about if I smell or not (a lot of people I am around don’t smoke so I smell to them), and I don’t want to be controlled by anything (smoking is controlling me) . I started at 15 and I have tried a couple of times and never stayed quit. However, this time I am going to quit and say quit!! ;0) Good luck everyone on your journey to a better you!

0 Kudos
shadowofaman

I've wanted to quit for at least a year now. I kept making excuses on why I wasn't ready when I found this site. I fiugred this site would help, but I kept making excuses anyways. After a few slip ups after my New Years quit goal, I've been smoke free. But the reasons I've wanted to quit are for health, not wasting money, and not smelling like a dirty cigarette butt. I can definitely relate with John. It seems so absurd going for a 5 mile run. Right after my run I'd get a drink of water, and suck down that all important death stick.

0 Kudos
whispera

I am quitting because i have asthma, and I love to go on  walks and now I can't even go shopping if its raining, cause my asthma keeps me from being able to go about life. And here i am, feeling silly being out of breath desiring a smoke. 

0 Kudos
jooch

Thank you all for your shares.  

I'm 54 soon to be 55 in Spring.  My husband and kids have been on me for years to quit.  Finally, I decided that in 2013 I would do it for ME. I mentally decided Sun 2/13/13 was the day.   For a long time now I have been noticing that my breathing is labored when I walk upstairs, dance, or run around the house.  I can't laugh heartily without having a coughing fit which takes the fun out of it.  

I'm due to have my knees replaced this year, 1 in Feb. and hopefully the other in Spring.  I desire to be healthy.  When I went to get my blood tests the nurse mentioned that recovery from a surgery is much quicker when you do not smoke.

I'm tired of smelling and my car being full of cig ashes and butts in the tray, the inside window being smoky.  Worried that when I flicked my cig out the window the cherry landed in the back seat.  I would get out before going to work searching the car to make sure there would be no fire.    

I'm tired of the anxiety of running out of cigs, searching for my lighter and the financial hit when the darn things sky rocketed in price.  $5.50 per pack is way more than I ever intended on paying.  That alone makes my heart race.

Thanks for letting me go on, it helped me realize WHY I am doing this.

Best wishes, good luck and peace to all you guys. 

0 Kudos
Lisa308

Hi, Thanks for starting this group!  I want to quit because I too have COPD, I'm on 3 inhalers, my children, my grandchild, health, cleanliness, social outcast, cost and quite a few more reasons.  Peace, Lisa

0 Kudos