cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

marinemom

Positive Affirmations and Support

Don't feel bad Ali. I guess I could be guilty of the same thing. My morning was he** and I was talking to a friend who was smoking and although I didn't ask for a drag I really wanted too. Did inhale some of the smoke off it though. Didn't help the stress level. Got a lozenge in my mouth right now. They work pretty good at taking the edge off.
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2,921 Replies
nicole

oh thats funny!! !! !!
0 Kudos
corina2

I've been 19 days smoke free. I was a little worried this morning because for some reason yesterday I felt more urges than I have to date, and a little depressed this morning when my head started to play little games with me, like, is this frustration really worth it? I knew it was, as all of us do, but I know you can relate to those "moments".

I got a rude wake-up today though. A close friend of mine's husband was just diagnosed with lung cancer today. He has more tests and x-rays tomorrow while trying to determine what stage it is in. Hopes are not high though for recovery. He's had emphezema(sp?) for a couple of years, has flat refused to quit smoking, smokes 3 packs a day, and has for almost 40 years, and has lost over 20 lbs. for no reason in about 6 weeks. My girlfriend has tried to quit several times in the last couple of years but it's always been too difficult for her with him still chain smoking in the house. She is feeling so guilty and scared. Her husband is suicidal and has forced her to promise not to tell ANYONE about the diagnosis. We work next to each other in extremely stressful jobs and she broke down in tears and needed to confide in someone. She knows I just quit smoking, and we've talked about it many times before, and that has only made us closer friends. We've had a common addiction the last 8 years working together, and we've both tried to support each other on our separate attempts to quit. Now, more than ever, she needs me to stay strong, and help her face the uncertain future. Her husband is only 3 years older than I am. I feel so petty for worrying about my stupid urges.

I'm sorry I can't offer upbeat encouragement right now. But I know I, for one, don't want my family to have to deal with the emotional pain smoking can cause because I wasn't strong enough to quit. I guess for now, I will try to take the negative and let even that give me strength for those moments I am tempted to start smoking again. And YES, I am still smoke free. I am proud of that.

Thanks for letting me vent.
0 Kudos
jason21

Thanks angela, My quit date is Feb 14 but part of me thinks that is way to far away and then other part thinks its too soon but I can't see my self smoke free but I REALLY
0 Kudos
jason21

whoops. REALLY want to quit. I am trying to folloow the plan that is laid out on the site. Like finding other things to do when I usually smoke and right now I am tracking when and why I smoke. Thanks for the support and questions. I am going to need it.
0 Kudos
michele2

Corina I am so sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts go out to you and your friend and his family.
0 Kudos
michele2

good morning to all!

I am SO proud of myself last night. My friend had a cigarette in the car last night while we were on our way out after cleaning. She told me how sorry she was and that if she was tempting me she felt bad...I told her that nope, it wasn't...Which to be honest it was until she actually lit up and reminded me of what I gave up. I pictured myself before taking that first drag and treasuring it, but when she lit up, I could taste the horrible taste in my mouth. When we got to the bar they went at seperate times the first time to smoke so I wouldn't be alone....by the time I had a few drinks and thought I might cave and have a puff...they closed the little smoking room and they had to go outside...Well, that sealed the deal...I wasn't standing out in the cold jumping around to have a cigarette...Instead I called my hubby and told him that I was out and staying on my quit!!!!! I have all of you to thank because when I was feeling weak, I thought of all of you on here, and imagined having to write a comment on how I let myself and everyone else down.
0 Kudos
trachelle

Way to go Michele!!! That was a lot of temptation to deal with. I'm so glad that you didn't cave in!!! That alone is inspiration for the rest of us on the quitting journey. Keep up the good work. You can do it!!!!
0 Kudos
angela6

Yea Michelle. Glad you kept your quit, you pushed through the temptation, way to go.

Corina, I'm so sorry to hear about your friend and her husband. What horrible news for that family to receive. We are all here for you if you need to to talk about anything that might weigh on your mind.
0 Kudos
jason21

New and nervous about being able to quit. Just set my quit date today and need to stick with it. This group has a great positive vibe and support that I need and am willing to give. Thanks and good luck!!!
0 Kudos
michele2

You can do this Jason. I don't think there has ever been anything more worth it.
0 Kudos