cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

stacey7

New here

Hi all, I just joined this morning and am ready to start my journey to be smoke-free. I quit for about 30 days last August and immediately started again when under stress from my teenage daughter. Well, here I am again. Wondering how I am going to make it through this time when I failed so miserably last time. I will be starting nursing school on August 18th and really want to quit before then. I've been told that the nursing program is so difficult that if I dont quit now I'll be wanting to EAT cigarettes once school starts.

So here I am, armed with Wellbutrin, lozengers and the patch. Last time I quit I used chantix and loved it but to be honest, just can't afford it this year as my insurance doesnt cover it. I've read lots of encouraging posts on here and am so ready not to SMELL anymore.

My extra challenge is 2 weeks ago my cholesterol came back high so I'm on a low cholesterol diet as well. But, I've always loved a challenge.

Looking forward to being an ex.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
stacey7

Well I was going to quit on Monday.....have had the script and paraphenalia for about 2 weeks now...ya know just trying to get up the nerve. But........as I sit here responding and reading all these posts, I've popped a lozenger, put on the patch and am now 56 minutes without a cig!!!!!!!! (ok so its only 56 min, but thats a lot for me)
0 Kudos
cindy25

How are you doing Stacey? I liked your statement about "always loved a challenge"...that is how I attack life as well! That attitude really will help you in the long run!
0 Kudos
stacey7

I suck.......I was doing so well yesterday. My husband came home and saw the patch on my arm and was really proud of me. Then around 8pm I dont know what happened, I just got up from the couch and went outside and smoked. I dont even think there was a trigger, I dont know. I smoked about 1/2 of it and said to myself wth am I doing? I dont even want this. I put it out and couldn't stand the smell of myself and got back in the shower. This morning I just feel like a failure. I blew 12 hours of not smoking and all those craves for NOTHING!!!!!!! what an idiot. I'm really not sure if I can do this or not. Has anyone else had "false starts" or am I just that weak?
0 Kudos
cindy25

We ALL feel weak at the start! Don't get discouraged- get even with that nicodemon! In recovery they have a saying that "relapse is part of recovery". You learn more about yourself and the addiction when you relapse. It doesn't take too long before a smart person figures out what is going wrong and makes changes and renewed commitments to themselves about quitting. You are still here! That says alot! Do it again. Find something to do at night. Get on the computer tonight at 8:00 and start posting and replying...then you will get through your first day. Do it again the next day. One day at a time and you will BE A NONSMOKER! Really! You can do it!
0 Kudos