cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I quit

Thanks to Gayle F I have joined this group. My First day without smoking. Actually I quit Friday afternoon but using the 30th as my quit date.  Very shaky as on Prednisone and very short of breath and anxious. If I want to live I have to do this.

23 Replies

Ty so much.

0 Kudos
dashquit52

Thank you for that quote, I think I am going to write it in my journal. Not completely smoke free yet but I am going to try not tooo smoke. I been thinking a lot about your words that stinking poisonous cigarette that I don't need or want in my life. Resit the devil and he will flee from you. James 4:6

Sandy-9-17-17

Yay!  As already told, this is the best decision you will make for yourself!  You can kick this addiction to the curb!  Just keep on reading and doing everything you can to avoid smoking!  You will get lots of great reading materials heading your way, make sure to take advantage of this offering!   

Post away, and share your quit journey, we are all here winning this same battle, and will be here for you!   

Welcome to EX!  

Sandy 288 Day Of Freedom (DOF) 

0 Kudos
elvan

Welcome to EX, please do all of the reading you can about nicotine addiction.  There is "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr...personally, I don't think there is anything easy about it but I DO believe that it can be done and that it is the best gift you will ever give yourself.

I have been on prednisone for over 26 years for rheumatoid arthritis but when I have to go on high doses because of my COPD, it makes me really emotional...thank God that it helps though.  I have two inhalers I use every day and a nebulizer that I use as needed...I had surgery just under two years after I quit.  I was not getting better as fast as I thought I should or as fast as other people here were. I was still short of breath, I was still tired most of the time.  I had both upper lobes of my lungs surgically removed because the emphysema in them was so bad that it was making me even shorter of breath.  I was told that the BEST possible outcome would be 3-5 years of improved quality of life...after that, I would be a candidate for a lung transplant.  I have issues with that idea since I am 68 and I think any organs that are available for transplant should go to a younger person with a better chance at recovery and who did not cause lung damage to himself or herself.  I have severe scoliosis so it is very unlikely that my body could accommodate a full size set of lungs...my rib cage is collapsing on the parts I have left.  Enough about me...let's talk about you.  Clearly, you are scared, we were all scared and we all started at the beginning...there are no short cuts and "The only way out is through."  Quitting is a one day at a time journey and some days are harder than others...just like they always were.  We stuffed our feelings down when we smoked and when we have to learn to deal with our emotions without stuffing them...they SEEM much more powerful than they probably are.  We did not learn to deal with anger or sadness or pain...physical or emotional without smoking...we did not grow up normally like people who were never addicted did...they learned to deal with things along the way...if we smoked through our youth...we didn't.  I hope you have a plan in place...it is never too late to put one into place...My EX Plan | BecomeAnEX , I suggest that you stay very close to this site and read as many blogs as you can...comment, ask questions, blog and pay attention to advice that is given.  I suggest that you read a blog written by JonesCarpeDiem‌ that I found particularly helpful and read over and over again.../blogs/jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007-blog/2011/06/26/what-to-expect-in-the-first-four-months A more recent blog by YoungAtHeart‌ is particularly helpful along with all of the comments...For Our New Years' Quitters (and community members, too) She also posted a list of things to do instead of smoking.../blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instead-of-smoke   I used the mantra I got from this site to help me when I first quit...NOPE...Not One Puff Ever.  It was easy to remember and to say quietly or out loud, it was easy to remind myself that one puff leads to more and more.  You can't have just one, "they travel in packs."  This site is supportive, educational, loving, and amazing.  I would never have made it this far without these people.  Quitting is the best thing I have ever done for myself.  You CAN do this and you do not have to do it alone.

Best,

Ellen

jillannadams

I am new to the community. my quit date was April 8, 2018 I am using Chantix in combination with Harmless Cig. with has no tobacco it only has scents my favorite is Lemon. Hold like a cigarettes keeps your hands busy and helps with the cravings. I am doing okay but have vivid dreams at night about my dead relatives.  I do believe in God and have attended Celebrate Recovery and believe in One Day At A Time and it works if you apply it to your life. I am going on my 3rd month on July 8th. I will take advantage of this website and all the offers it has to help me through.

maryfreecig

Welcome to Ex. Keep working your quit--because you will find what you are looking for as you leave the addiction behind. Thanks for sharing your story.

elvan

jillannadams  Welcome to EX, congratulations on almost three months.  This IS a one day at a time journey and when a day seems too long, it can be cut down to an hour or less.  I am not familiar with the Harmless cig...I know a lot of people cut straws to the length of a cigarette and used them to chew on and suck, etc.  I did not use anything but it was because I got so sick that I quit just to breathe.  I have not smoked in over four years and I did a lot of damage to my lungs.  I am on oxygen at night and I am short of breath with any exertion.  

This site is educational, supportive, loving, and amazing when it comes to quitting smoking.  Glad you decided to join us.  Stay close to the site and read as much as you can, comment, blog...be a part of the community. 

Ellen

I have been on the ventilator in the past and am on oxygen at night to. I can't do anything without being short of breath and now stuck inside going crazy with this heat.

elvan

I am SO SORRY.  My nightmare is to be on a ventilator, I am a retired RN and I know how hard it was for patients to get off those things. I can tolerate very short periods of time outside...I DO work out in an outdoor pool but it is at a friend's house that is out in the country and there is always an amazing breeze.  Some days are harder than others but I really TRY to get to about an hour...walking back and forth, using water weights, I can't swim without a noodle for support but I do feel stronger.  I use a stationary bike at home in the off season.  

I am so astounded at how hard it is to bend over...my heart goes out to you.  I was told to use the nebulizer at least twice a day on these humid days...I went through a really tough bout with an aspiration pneumonia in May and I was afraid I was headed for a vent.  Stay close to this site, I would never have made it without these amazing people but, like you, it's stay quit if I want to live.

Best to you,

Ellen

Ty. I need all the support I can get.