cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

TW517

I'm a whiner, but...

I’m a whiner.  When a cold or flu goes thru our household, I am the biggest complainer, even if my symptoms were less and lasted for a shorter period than my wife and kids.  If the boss makes everyone stay late to complete a project, my inconvenience far outweighs everyone else’s.  I know this about myself, and I’ve been working on improving this bad trait for years. 

When I was 30, 40, 50, even 60 days into my quit, I was struggling and complaining about it even though it seemed like most of the people who quit around the same time as me were feeling great.  I attributed this to my typical whiney nature.  But after reading Doug’s blog /blogs/dwwms-blog/2017/11/28/250-days-and-yet  and Dale’s response,

Doug, I've never pinpointed the connection from when people quit using nicotine long term as to how it relates to no mans land. There's just no way I can get any data. That being said....perhaps it has a relation to how your feeling if you've only been off nicotine for 45 days.That being said, give it some more time. It'll pass.

As a Cold Turkey quitter, now I’m wondering if maybe my struggles were a bit more real than just perceived.  Obviously, someone on a 21mg patch who is also taking 4mg of gum or lozenges occasionally to get thru those “rough patches”, is not feeling anything like a cold turkey quitter at that same point in time.  So now I’m wondering how many of those who seemed to be doing so much better than me, were on NRTs and what dosage.

It seems the most common question for Newbies is, “Is what I’m feeling now normal?”  But if a Cold Turkey quitter is comparing themselves to an NRT quitter who posts a similar “DOF” tagline, they are doing themselves a disservice.  I kind of wish there were 2 Quit Dates in the “My Quit Plan” section of our website.  One for the day you quit smoking cigarettes (well worth celebrating regardless if you are still using NRTs) and another for the day you quit using any kind of nicotine.  Thoughts?  Other than, "Oh Tom, quit your whining!"

74 Replies
elvan

Focusing on you for the last 20 days has been VITAL, don't forget that.  You are taking care of a newly hatched quit and it needs lots of attention!

YoungAtHeart

A pound of fireballs is sold on Amazon for $6.21!!!  Sam's club also has a giant tub of them for sale, as do others.

Who knew?

(glad you found my suggestions helpful!)

Nancy

Deb-EX

Hahahaha.. a POUND of FIREBALLS!! You're right, who knew!! I am laughing out loud! I think I'll skip that one, I like my teeth 🙂

Furthermore, the inside of my mouth has actually been very sensitive and sore lately, weird right??!!! I'm assuming it's a sign of healing though, after all I checked my "quit stats this morning" and I have NOT smoked 511 cigarettes in 22 days. That's just mind blowing to me, I mean 511 cigarettes WOW - that's A LOT  - GROSS!!! That was a scared straight moment for the day! 

I hope you're having a great day!!

elvan

511 cigarettes IS smobering.  The inside of my mouth was constantly sore at the beginning of my quit but I have no idea how many of those sugary/sour candies I ate.  My TONGUE hurt too.  My back teeth on the top and the bottom were already toast from smoking and 25 years of steroids...they broke off at or below the gum line.  Extractions were particularly challenging...maybe more for the dentist than for me. 

I just finished my ten miles on my stationary bike...hmmmm, it might be easier later in the day than earlier in the day.  I try to do it early so it's out of the way but I am still so stiff that I think it's harder work...who knows?  I'm so afraid that fatigue will take over and I won't get it done if I don't do it earlier in the day.  At the moment, I am feeling pretty good.  I still have some more things to do to finish my work out but I will get to them, the bike is the biggest challenge.  I am working on getting stronger and stronger...nothing like a STRONG old lady!  Hahahahaha...that was a funny image that sped across my brain.

Have a great remainder of this day...22 days WON!

Ellen

Deb-EX

Oh Ellen.. GOOD FOR YOU, 10 Miles is fantastic!! Speaking for myself, night would work better for me because mornings I am stiff too and crankkkkky. However, you're right at the end of the day... who knows if you will be to tired to get on! It's a quandary.. so mix it up! Hey strong old lady is what we are all striving for NO?!! LOL. I mean, that's the point - if things go bad, we need our bodies to be strong enough to handle it! I'm impressed that you do what you do, and ALWAYS with a positive attitude.

I thought about my mouth being sore because of the candy too, might be why. I'm also eating a LOT of Shiela G's Brownie Brittle - have you ever tried it??!! OMG - I am eating like a 5oz bag every 2 days. So freaking good... AND they are "weight watchers" - whatever that means haha :-)))) BUT they are hard and I think I am doing to much crunching - who knows! I'm sure I will live...

That 511 cigarettes made me ILL... Where did I find the time for that is what I want to know - hmmmm....

Hope you have a great evening and I will touch base with you tomorrow xo