cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Alicatsam

HELP!

I'm on day 11 and it's all day rain and I'm in the last smoking-allowed building in the city. Rainy weather makes the cravings worse, and of course I don't have to go out to smoke. Roommate has cigarettes and there is a store right across the street.

I started to panic so I put in a patch a little while ago.

I'm trying to hang in there until I have to go to work in less than 2 hours, where I can't smoke indoors. 

Hard to focus on anything else, hard to distract from the thoughts with reading or watching or doing anything.

Just trying to hang in there another couple of hours. 

There's also the thought of having to put rain gear on myself and my dog and the 20 min walk in the cold and rainy to get to work. That makes me need a calming smoke too.

I'm gonna try chewing on sugar free gum until I feel sick. I got the nicotine gum too, but that makes me cough and feel nauseous after a few chews.

Tags (1)
33 Replies
virgomama

Good Job!!!!!  Marching on to more days of freedom.  It does get better.

virgomama

Vicks under the nose helps too.

virgomama

Have you talked to your smoking roommate about your quit?  Is he/she willing to keep ashtrays/cigs hidden so the temptation isn't so available?   Is there a designated smoking room?  Not that that helps much as the smoke travels.  Just wondering if you had support in your home?

Alicatsam

He knows and is not really a supportive person. I don't think he takes it seriously. He's not pushing the issue either, just neutral and doing what he's always done. I just spend more time outside with my fur baby Oliver and close our room door more often when I'm home. He is friends with my dog and they love each other and I don't want to completely sever that, but I limit Oliver's time in the smoking area. I can really smell the smoke in his fur now that I'm quits.

Beck37

I recently visited my sister and was kind of dreading it as they are both inside smokers and the house always reeks. However for the first time ever it didn’t as she had bought a Dyson air purifier. If you have the money it could be a friend saver....

virgomama

Bath time for fur babies, huh?  Isn't it amazing how much the smell affects you after you quit?  I started wondering how I smelled smoking because you can't smell yourself.  Wish you had more support, but it is your quit.  You CAN do this.

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Alicatsam

Glad you came and posted when you needed help.

We made it simple to create a Help post.

Asking for Help - Desktop - Newbie.gif

From a Computer

Asking for Help - Mobile - Newbie.gif

From your Mobile Phone

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Giulia

Cool Mark‌  Why not add the help button to other groups as well?  In your copious free time lol

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

Giulia wrote:

Cool Mark  Why not add the help button to other groups as well?  In your copious free time lol

I added it to two groups that seemed to relate to members who need quick responses.  I can add it to other groups but I believe there is a purpose of being intentional.  I don't think it makes sense to blanket add it to every group.  I'll add it to Conversations‌ as well.

For those who want to quickly respond to those people who use these one-press  "Help" buttons to post go here.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
elvan

Hope you are doing MUCH better.  It is best to limit Oliver's time with your smoking roommate.  Animals do not have lungs as big as ours and the second hand smoke is really a risk to them.

Ellen