cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Alicatsam

HELP!

I'm on day 11 and it's all day rain and I'm in the last smoking-allowed building in the city. Rainy weather makes the cravings worse, and of course I don't have to go out to smoke. Roommate has cigarettes and there is a store right across the street.

I started to panic so I put in a patch a little while ago.

I'm trying to hang in there until I have to go to work in less than 2 hours, where I can't smoke indoors. 

Hard to focus on anything else, hard to distract from the thoughts with reading or watching or doing anything.

Just trying to hang in there another couple of hours. 

There's also the thought of having to put rain gear on myself and my dog and the 20 min walk in the cold and rainy to get to work. That makes me need a calming smoke too.

I'm gonna try chewing on sugar free gum until I feel sick. I got the nicotine gum too, but that makes me cough and feel nauseous after a few chews.

Tags (1)
33 Replies
YoungAtHeart

's OK!!!

btw - the patch takes awhile to get to strength in your system.  No reason not to use them as they were intended if you think they are helpful.  Just be sure to have a plan to wean yourself down off them in time.  Better to use them than smoke - for sure!!!!

sweetplt

Hang in there ... breath it will be ok ... start doing jumping jacks ... remind yourself how good you are doing ... also Oliver doesn’t want his mom smoking ... please let us know again how you are doing ... 

anaussiemom

Get some nico gum or lozenges   they help in the aid of quitting!! You have got this day won!! I believe in you!!

Alicatsam

I made it to work and I am still smober!

It was definitely very, very close.

If I make it one year, I will have saved over $1,800. More healthy food and treats for my fur baby! More yummy stuff for me!

I can't wait until it stops raining. Taking Oliver out to the parks is the best way to avoid temptation.

Also, I noticed the cravings are much stronger and last longer when I'm actually in a good mood. On top of that, to be stuck inside a smoking apartment is just too much.

I can't wait for the craves to fade away.

I like being a non-smoker. I feel cleaner and freer most of the time. No juggling my stuff and Oliver's stuff while I puff away on my way to and from work. No more being asked for cigarettes and occasionally being insulted for not giving them away.

And best of all, no standing outside in the cold and rain to take smoke breaks during work. That really made me pity myself.

Thanks everyone for your support! I think it'll be more manageable now for the rest of the day. I got the patch on and my oral fixation bag nearby. No one will be smoking near me in here!

sweetplt

pastedImage_1.gif Congratulations !

There is always the Lemon trick from one of the Elders.

Bite into a lemon, rind and all!!!!

That will kill a crave very quickly ......

KMC56

Pat yourself on the back, stand proud.  We all have been there..and before you know it it WILL be a a year!!

Barbscloud

Just reading this now.  Hope this passed and you're doing better this morning.   You did the right thing coming to the site.  It really does help get past those tough moments.   Congrats on your 11 days.  You're doing great.  Remind yourself "I don't do that anymore".

Barb

romancing the cigarette is tough.  I remember when I was thinking of quitting, I would walk past the smokers huddled outside and breathe deep and say, god I love that smell.  Now being quit for 3 1/2 years, it literally takes my breath away.  I would highly suggest that when you're home and the roommate is smoking, No. 1, put Vicks under your nose to mask the smell, No. 2, find some essential oils in a fragrance you love and dab it on a scarf and breathe deep.  It's tough trying to quit and live with a smoker, there's many here that do.  Great to hear you're sticking with it, WTG

maryfreecig

Fantastic work!  Yes you can.