cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

erika5

Feeling tightness in my chest after quitting, how long will it last?

Jump to solution
This is crappy and I don't want to feel this way anymore. I'm using the patch and I've been smoke free for 13 days now. I just can't stand this tightness in my chest. I already have anxiety issues and this is making my anxiety worse. How long does it usually last and what about the patch... should I stop using it, could it be making the tightness worse?

Thanks,
Erika
46 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

You can read a post from Dr. Hays Chest pain and get more info on the EX Plan by reading Why Do I Feel Tightness in My Chest Now That I’ve Quit Smoking? 

EX Community Admin Team
0 Kudos
ushie

Hello!

I am now 72 days smoke free. I'm 56 years old with a 40-pack year smoking history and of course a recent CT scan that said I have emphysematous changes at the lung aspices. I have chest tightness. My o2 sat is 96-97 daily. This tightness is there when I think about it and it freaks me out because I know that's a sign of COPD and I'm kicking myself for not staying smoke free during earlier quits. I feel as if the only benefit for quitting smoking right now is I haven't had a stroke or heart attack. In my defense, I worked in a nursing home during COVID and that's when I resumed smoking.  Has anyone else had chest tightness this far into their quit? (72 days). Thanks for the feed back!

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@erika5 Welcome to the Ex and congrats 72 days of success.  You found this post, so you already know this is a normal withdrawal symptom. Should it last 72 days is probably a question for a medical professional.  Everyone is different, but most physical symptoms decline in 3 - 4 weeks.  

There certainly can  be many causes for chest tightness including being  a symptom of COPD.  Even the stress you're experiencing about your diagnosis can cause chest tightness.  I smoked for  50 years and quit when I was diagnosed with mild emphysema.   

Are you on any medication for your COPD?   (I have a non-steroid inhaler). Do you have Pulmonary doctor?   I would definitely get it checked out, even is if it's just for peace mind.

Don't look back at past mistakes.  We've all been there and have now made the right decision to have a better way of life.

Have you heard of No Man's Land?  You might find it useful.

No Mans Land Days 30 to 130 (approximate) - EX Community

I'm glad you found us and reached out.  We're here to support you anytime we can help.   Please keep me updated on your status.

Be proud.  You're doing fabulous!

Barb

ushie

Thank you so much for your response. I was prescribed an Albuterol inhaler last year when I had COVID and had chest tightness. I don't use it regularly because it doesn't seem to help. I may seek the assist of a pulmonologist. I haven't pursued one yet because that just confirms there's a medical problem, I guess. I do think anxiety is part of the issue, but a pulmonary function test will probably help clear that up.  Thank you so much for your kind outreach and congrats on your quit. May I ask how long you have been smoke free? 

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@ushie I highly recommend seeing a pulmonary doctor.  Yes  a pulmonary function test is probably in order.  It's important to get to the bottom of this.  If the inhaler isn't helping, I'm thinking you either don't need it or you need a different one.

Stick around.  There's lots of great information and support here. I have 6 years quit in March.  I recommend this site highly.  When I found the Ex, I learned how to quit for the first time after 50 years of smoking.  For me, the support here is invaluable.

Let me know what you decide to do.

Take care

Barb

0 Kudos
ushie

6 years quit is awesome. Congrats! There's not an ounce of ambivalence that will allow me back to smoking. I'm at the age where it's now or never. Thankyou for what you do. I'm sticking around because the support is invaluable and there may be a surprise trigger  out there. No one ever expected COVID.

Barbscloud

@ushie I'm glad you've chosen to share your journey with us.  Consider creating your own post at My Journal/Blog to introduce yourself to the community and receive some well deserved support.

There are many triggers for us when we've smoked our way through every event and emotion in our lives. That's why it's so important to create new associations to replace those smoking times.   Some of them surprised me.  The change of seasons and the reward cigarette for a task completed are common triggers for many quitters.  I experienced both and the reward cigarette can still pop into our minds even after many years.  The important lesson is that they are memories and we don't have to act on.

Keep moving forward one day at a time.

Barb