cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

erika5

Feeling tightness in my chest after quitting, how long will it last?

Jump to solution
This is crappy and I don't want to feel this way anymore. I'm using the patch and I've been smoke free for 13 days now. I just can't stand this tightness in my chest. I already have anxiety issues and this is making my anxiety worse. How long does it usually last and what about the patch... should I stop using it, could it be making the tightness worse?

Thanks,
Erika
46 Replies
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

jhonell25 wrote:

Hi I found this post while searching for answers, its been 2 weeks i think since I quit smoking. I smoke cigarettes plus 60mg salt nic all the time. I quit because I know I’m getting so addicted to it. Then about a week after I quit I had a super tight chest like it’s annoying I can’t breathe properly I gotta take some deep breath. In the morning it doesn’t usually happened but from what I read here it also happens at night when I’m relaxing and about to sleep. The tightness in my chest is crazy it happened for about 3 days so the other day I went to get check for corona virus because I was getting paranoid out here. But it went away now, idk what was it right now I still feel it a little bit or maybe I’m just over thinking I don’t know but yeah this what I felt since I stopped smoking. And it’s true too that you want nicotine to help you breathe better but I’m trying my best not to smoke ever again I can do this!! 

Glad you found us and jumped into the conversation. Stay the course. It will get better by staying quit.

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager

jhonell25

How are you doing?

Mark
EX Community Manager

EX Community Admin Team
Rayface1990

Hey I’m Ray and I’m on my 6 day of getting off of cigs, I have the chest tightness and it really happens at night when I lay down, i went to the doc for the chest pain and he gave me ibuprofen for the chest pain. I can say it helps but I don’t like taking meds so I’m tuffing it out , sucks though but I did this to my self and it doesn’t help because of this COVID going around... kinda got my mind freaking out like should I be at the doctor getting tested. I can also say I do cough a lil bit but not much at all, just get the feeling that I have to cough or there is something stuck in my throat at night while laying down. I also quit cannabis at the same time so idk what to think lol.

Barbscloud

Congrats on your 6 days nicotine free. That's fabulous.   What you're experiencing is normal for many quitters, but please check with your doctor to confirm everything is OK.   If it's concerning you, then the peace of mind is worth checking it out.

Barb

Rayface1990

Thank you, maybe I should go back to the doctors but it’s scary right now with this Covid 

Barbscloud

I really don't go out too much, but I have been to doctors and have an appointment tomorrow.  They're being very cautious. But most of them have video options now. If available, that's another option.

Barb

Rayface1990

I just feel that pressure heavy. I just did the steam and it kinda helped 

RickLynch

I have the same thing. I’m on day4  it is mostly when I lay down as well. Hope it goes away soon. 

Barbscloud

Congrats on 4 days RickLynch    This can often be a symptom of quitting smoking, but if it doesn't ease up, please check with your doctor.

Barb

Barbscloud

Rayface1990 how are you feeling?

Barb