cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Roejo

Failing Fast

I have never been able to figure out how to join in discussions or express my concerns.  Still don't know what I'm doing!  Anyhow, my last cigarette was January 31, but I am getting worse, not better.  I wonder if anyone else has this problem.  I have no support at home--hubby 0f 41 years still smokes--hasn't seemed to bother me much, but triggers are killing me.  Haven't told friends because I'm too afraid I won't make it.  They would not be unhappy to see me fail because they all smoke!  I used the patches for six weeks and I don't want to go back to them.  I haven't used them since the middle of March.  I was telling myself I was doing just fine, then all of a sudden about a week ago, I wasn't.  I'm having a worse time now than in the beginning.  I hesitate to write this because I don't want to discourage anyone who has just quit, but I really need to know if anyone else has his a patch like this and most of all, how long did it last?

30 Replies
Roejo

What is really helpful is to find out others have the same challenges.  People going back to smoking after quitting for a long time is my worst fear and worst dilemma.  If I allow myself to dwell on it, I can really get negative!  It helps to know that that bothers you too.

Barbscloud

I find this whole fear thing interesting.  What are we really afraid of?   The cigarette swat team isn't going to come to our house if we smoke.  Only thing I can come up with, it that we're afraid of failing, i.e., disappointing ourselves.  That doesn't really make any sense either, because we'd never attempt to do even the most trivial things  if we expected to fail EVER TIME.  After many attempts to quit, I tried to squelch the "unexplained" fear this time by telling my to give it a try.  I can always go back to smoking if I chose to.  So, what is there to be afraid of.  You're ahead of me in this quit (March12), so I'm looking to you for inspiration!

jtheo

One of the things helping me....i don't need to worry about 2 years...5 years or 10 years down the road!! Just today. I only need to make the choice not to smoke today, this minute. It's my choice and I certainly feel empowered when I get ready for bed each night. Brushing my teeth I look myself in the eye and celebrate my choice. I sleep well knowing just for the day I remained smoke free. Tomorrow is another day and I don't need to worry or stress over it today.

Good luck in your journey. Never hesitate to post and ask for help!!

elvan

I am 68 now, I quit over four years ago after smoking for 47 years.  Smoking was something I did to deal with my feelings...anger, sadness, even happiness, I smoked to plan my day, I smoked to reward myself for getting through the day.  I had to find new associations for everything, new associations for dealing with life.  Life happens whether we smoke or not and it really is okay to get angry sometimes, it is okay to feel sad sometimes.  I quit because I got so sick that I really did not know if I was going to survive and it was smoking related.  I have COPD and I am constantly reminded of why I quit because of my shortness of breath...I am on oxygen at night.  While I realize that COPD does not happen to everyone...I cannot imagine taking that chance or the chance of the number of cancers that are related to smoking...it just is not worth it.  When you quit and you start to grow emotionally...you find that you can deal with all of your emotions and actually GROW.  You become more confident..you have more self esteem...you learn to deal to with the things you stuffed for years.  This journey is one day at a time, one step at a time...stay in today, don't worry about next year or the year after.  It sounds like your sister and your father did not really want to quit, did not take the time to seek our education about this addiction and did not have the support of a community like EX.  I can tell you, with no doubt that I would not have made it to over four years without EX.  I had lots of stresses but I KNEW that smoking wasn't going to help with any of them.  For me, that was the key...ask yourself what having a cigarette would do, how it would fix anything, and THEN I answered HONESTLY and I was never able to come up with a reason to smoke...NEVER.  

You can do this and every person here wants to help you.  In one way or another, we have ALL been where you are.

Welcome to EX,

Ellen

Roejo

My story is very much like your story.  I got to spend 5 days in ICU over Christmas, COPD related.  I try also to do one day at a time.  To all of you--my today was much better than my yesterday, thanks to all of you!

Deena-A-Yenni

Atta-girl.  I can read your responses and feel that your getting stronger and stronger with the help of this site and the people in it  Atta-girl!!!!

0 Kudos
ShawnP

I have been through this before. I still have 3 in the house that smoke. I don't think about it anymore like i used to. It took awhile to get past certain triggers. Not everyday but they would hit once in a blue moon when i was least expecting it. Here is some inspiration. sorry so many, i just couldn't decide but they helped me along the way. Sometimes you have to reread 2x for it to really hit you.

we have a bonfire going on...stop by and throw those unsmoked cigarettes in the fire. you will feel better.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/community/celebrations-events/blog/2018/05/19/the-bonfire-is-now-...

Roejo

These are beautiful, ShawnP.  Thank you.

ShawnP

they are. You're very welcome.

0 Kudos
elvan

It DOES get better and when you feel like you are in danger...come here, read blogs, write a blog with the word HELP in the subject line. Keep your quit in today and when a day seems too long, keep it in the hour or the minute. That is a HUGE help...never forget what it was like to be in that ICU.  My doc wanted to admit me to ICU and I am a retired RN (world's worst patient) I promised him that if I did not get better in 5-7 days doing everything I could at home that I would agree to be admitted.  I had three inhalers, a nebulizer I was using every 2-4 hours, I was taking two antibiotics, drinking GALLONS of liquids, and I did something called "postural drainage" and hung myself off the side of the bed...my face was on the floor, my body on the bed.  It was to help the stuff in my lungs to drain at least somewhat by gravity.  I ran a warm steam vaporizer and the WALLS were dripping.  It was like a sauna in my room.  My husband and son kept coming in to check on me and ask how I was doing...it was so hard to breathe that I could hardly talk and I couldn't cough effectively.  I do not EVER want to go through that again.  There are no guarantees that I won't die of a respiratory illness anyways but I won't be craving a cigarette when it happens.  We all recover at different rates but, if we stay committed, we DO recover and we learn a whole lot about ourselves along the way.  

You are here with us and every one of us want you to be successful in your quit!  Believe in yourself, we believe in you.

Best,

Ellen