cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Samanthadoom

Fail fast, fail early

When I first started design school, this was the motto: Fail fast, fail early. The point of thinking like that was to train to explore designs early in the process and what would work and what would not work. The end goal, to make sure we had enough time to complete a design in the given amount of time for each project. 

Well, it’s all that goes through my mind tonight as I have failed fast and failed early on quitting the ecig this week. 

But I have learned a lot.

One, I am strong until I get an irresistible craving that makes rational go out the window as I trot over to buy another ecig

Two, it does not resolve anything. Nothing at all when I puff on the ecig again.

Three, I did not read enough about quitting and have proceeded to do a ton of research this week on what’s going on with me on this site as well as articles.

Four, I can do this. I have to commit. I have to listen to what is being taught to me here.

Five, I have not ever had so much support in my life towards something I have wanted so desperately to quit yet I still doubted myself in those moments.

Six, I am inspired by everyone who quit this week and made it past the first week. I am proud of them. And want to be a quitter too.

Seven, I am not going to beat myself up. I am going to resume with the quit.

Eight, there is a part of me that did not want to quit and I fought that part of me all week. I am aware of that part of me now. More aware then ever

Nine, I could have spent the money I spent on ecigs to get a massage, buy a nice outfit, get a manicure, or any other self loving thing I could have thought of in that moment before I bought it instead of, it.

Ten, there is no going back. I wanted to quit. I prepared to quit. I mentally prepared to quit. I know now I need better quit strategies and an arsenal of things. Possibly even a list. A personal list of why I do not want to smoke the ecig anymore. 

I quit cigarettes. It seems like I managed to do that when I did not think I could. So, I can do this. 

Whats my nest strategy to not relapse? I read the relapse stories. It’s me to a tee. 

Will a list help me? A physical list? A supply bag of mints, the toothpicks, and possibly an emergency bag of supplies to get me through those moments? 

Will it get better after I make it through one week? One month? One year? 

Is it delusional that i just want to go for it again, bright and early tmrw and keep pounding away at my quit even after failing so many times this week? 

Is ot possible that I am learning every time a little more about what is not working for me? Or am I just dragging this out? Wait, I think I am postponing it every time I crave and buy an ecig. 

Feeling a bit down about it. Yet, optimistic at the same time. After all, there have been many many MANY times I have failed fast and failed early before in other aspects of life where I have come out ahead for all i learned in my fails. I’d like to believe this will be one of those glorious moments. 

8 Replies
Samanthadoom

Oh, and eleven...I thought for one minute that maybe I should just keep an ecig around so I was not constantly buying a new one. And then the big ah-ha moment cane. And I knew I had to throw it out again. If I keep it around then i am not quit. I am not committed. If I keep buying it for even a couple drags, that’s nit quit. That’s not committed. 

Nope. If I don’t want to do this anymore, then I have to accept my fails. Throw it out and not bug it again. 

I am literally writing a list to refer to of things I could do with that money that would serve me better then that. Or even not spend money. 

There were so many times this week i just got creative and learned something new or did a tedious project or went out of my comfort zone to just deal. 

Here I go, again. 

Barbscloud

Sounds like you're well on your way to your final quit.   The process you just outlined about educating yourself and preparing, are what makes success possible.  We have to fail at times to learn from out mistakes.  This is a new day!

Barb

gregp136

It is time.  You are ready.  You need to get through your biggest craving, and you can, and then you are on your way.  Once you get through one, and see tat you are alive and it didn't kill you, you have no reason not to fight through the next one!

maryfreecig

Here's another thing--you can learn to say no to the addiction one day at a time. Most quitters do not want to quit. I didn't. Learning to say no I am not turning back and yes I will endure my discomfort until I break out of the hold nicotine has on me--was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. Turns out I'm an average quitter, you too can smober up even while in the midst of the addiction. That's how we do it. You are sticking with your desire to quit--hang onto that and walk it forward.

YoungAtHeart

I regret that you spent (what - $120?) money to learn what you needed to do to be successful, but when all is said and done  it is a small price to pay for freedom. 

Remember that slow/deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each, are always available to help you through a crave.  Have a cold bottle of water with you at all times from which to sip. Some folks have used straws to inhale fresh air.  While you are making lists, you might do one that has things you can do to distract yourself. 

You sound like you are ready now.  Let's DO this thing!

Nancy

sweetplt

Samanthadoom I am sorry you lost your quit and choose to smoke...donot be down and/or beat yourself up...self defeating thoughts are not good in this journey...you sound like you worked through your choice...so hang in there and get rid of all smoking paraphernalia...Remember YOU can’t Smoke what you don’t have...keep busy ... and come here before you light up so we can try and talk you down...You got this hon...Happy Friday...Cheers to a new day...~ Colleen 228 DOF 

indingrl

Thanks for sharing YOUR life experiences - CONGRATS on learning and growing and healing as a NON SMOKER LIFE STYLE ALL YOUR OWN CHOICES - just for TODAY - ONE day at a time and broken down into moment and minutes and 5 minutes then half hour - amen -  Yahoooooooooo - WAY TO GO- gentle hug❤

Barb102

I totally agree with one day at a time. I used to get overwhelmed with thinking I could never smoke again. I wasn’t sure I could do that. So I did for just one more hour. For just today. It was easier that way one day turns into 2. They build and they build you up and give you confidence. They add up!!  You can do this. Please don’t smoke today. Hugs