cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

jsichi

Day 5: Am I going Insane?

This is my first attempt at quitting in over 20 years of smoking. I'm on Day 5 and I feel like my head might explode. I think I just need some reassurance that I won't always feel this insane. I'm struggling, but I'm going to do this.

Tags (1)
116 Replies
Lisaml

I'm new at this too, but I DO know that you won't feel like that forever. It will get better!!!!

This site has a ton of information on it, and I feel confident that if you keep reading, you will feel less and less insane. 

After 3 days, there is no nicotine left in your body. Now it's time for the healing to happen!!!;-) 

you CAN do this!!!! Xoxo

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking and your first four days WON.  You are right on schedule with the insane feeling.  This isn't easy, but  with commitment and education, it CAN be done.  The reading materials I  will provide will inform you and help to make this current attempt a successful one.  They also make GREAT distraction tools!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. You can search for it online or at your local library.

You should also read the posts here and perhaps go to the pages of folks who you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com, quitsmokingonline.com and livewell.com for the good information contained there. @https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex has lots of blogs written by members of this site with their experiences and guidance.

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. If used properly, gum, lozenges and inhalers are fine, but they need to be used only as a last resort.  I have seen folks become addicted to them if they substitute them for every cigarette they used to smoke - just trading one addiction for another.  I do not recommend the e-cigarette for three reasons: 1) the vapor has been compared to the polluted air in Bejing on a bad day, 2) they just provide another nicotine delivery system while continuing the hand to mouth smoking motion, and 3) the batteries can spontaneously catch on fire. . But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different. Buy your gas at a different station. Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.    Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Roller831

Be sure to check out https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/17060-for-our-new-years-quitters-and-community-members-too .  I saw your post in Newbie Check In and am posting the same here.

Welcome!  I know when I first found this site, many Elders told me to read read read….and I did.  Elders are those with one or more years of being quit.  If you like what someone has to say, then you may want to read their blogs.  I have some listed below.

A list of our Elders  ELDER'S LIST 

One of the first things I read was Alan Carr's Easy Way to Quit Smoking.  I purchased the book on CD and listened to it in the car on my way to and from work for 3 weeks over and over again.  It was well worth the money because this is my forever quit.

Your Quit Kit is very important those first few days and weeks Quit kit !

So here's the thing.....and you may not like what I am about to say....and that's ok.  I get it.  You need to accept that this is an addiction.  Before you do that, it will be much more difficult to quit and stay quit. 

Read read read.  Do the steps to PREPARE yourself to quit.  Do the steps so you are PREPARED on quit day and for the days AFTER quit day.  

Some of the things I read in my first few days that helped me:

Dale’s Welcome to New Members My Welcome To New Members (10 Years Of Watching) 

Youngatheart.7.4.12 Nancy’s Blog 101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - Check out her other blogs as well since she is one of our wise Elders!

jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007  Dale’s Blog What To Expect In The First Four Months which was already posted and linked to....this is a very good one as are his other blogs.

Visit Best of EX    

And read what has been posted there.

JACKIE1-25-15

Some of my favorite saying and abbreviations:

NOPE - Not one puff ever!

SINAO - Smoking is not an option

One step and then another will take you where you want to be - Larry, the Caravan Master (oldbones5358-Larry_10-21-2013 - read his blogs, too!)

I don't do that anymore! is a great one from Dale (jonescarp.aka.dale.Jan_2007)

One of my favorite blogs is from my time in NML (No Man's Land - around Day 30-130 of your quit)  Not getting caught in NML - Staying Quit 

Keep this site close and keep posting and asking for help.  You will get it.  You will get things you like and things you don't like, but don't give up!!!  We have been through similar experiences and can share our strength and hope.  We are here to support you!

Roller

JACKIE1-25-15

Quitting smoking is not easy but very doable.  So many of us here have.  The first thing you need to do is to arm yourself with a plan so that you may prepare for all the struggles that you say you are going through.  It is very important that you educate yourself about nicotine addiction.  If you have not already is here a link to read  www.whyquit.com  Journey Home Freedom from Nicotine and Nicotine Addiction 101. Go to My EX plan to get started on viewing the videos and tracking triggers etc.  Education is the key to a successful quit. 

jsichi

Thanks for the Positive vibes, Jackie!!!

Welcome To Pair a dice  Paradise!

Onward And Upward!

Say "I don't do that anymore" every time you think of smoking.

This will retrain your thinking quickly.

Barb102

No believe me I felt the same way as did all the others. I promise you it will get better. Follow all the advise. Tell yourself you just won’t smoke today. It’s easier that way. Join the daily pledge it markes  me stronger. Don’t give up. We are all here for you. If you follow us you will see that we all have moments but we help each other get through then. Welcome you came to the right place!

Barb

elvan

Read all you can about nicotine addiction...you cannot be too educated.  Know that this WILL pass but it takes time and the best thing you can do for yourself is to stay close to the site.  We have ALL felt the way you feel right now...you are recovering ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Welcome to EX.

Ellen