cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

cory7

Cravings

today, i've been using the patch which i'm not sure is doing much. i've also been chewing nicorette gum. i'm having strong cravings associated with certain things when i always grabbed a cigarette. granted this is my first day without cigs and i knew i'd get cravings but it's like i can't stand it at times. how do you disassociate things with smoking?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
jan__tx

better be careful you can get to much nicotine - I don't think you are suppost to use both:)
0 Kudos
sharona

Hi. I've been there about a month. First, I'm not sure if you should use the patch and the gum. Might be too much nicotine. You can check that out on here.
Anyway, what I've been doing is breaking the association between smoking and an activity.
For example, the one after supper was really hard for me. So one day I changed my routine. Now after supper, I brush my teeth and get busy with a project, read or exercise. Even a quick 15 minute walk is enough to get rid of the craving. If you do it for a couple days in a row, it becomes a new (and better) habit.
At first, take small steps by putting off smoking for let's say 10 minutes and then 20 minutes and so forth. A craving lasts about 3 minutes.
I also wrote down all of my triggers and worked at changing them one at a time.
Hope this helps.
Feel free to add my as a friend so we can talk more.
Sharon
0 Kudos