cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nsg6662

Changes

Hi everyone, I’m Michelle and this is my first post here. I’m a 54 year old pack a day ex  (I smoked for 40 years),  who will be smoke, alcohol and fattening food free 30 days tomorrow. I am on Chantix since quitting. I understand quitting all three things at once greatly increases my chances for failing one or all of them but I had some very critical level blood work that demands I either change my lifestyle drastically and now, or not be here to see my grandchildren grow. It’s very hard at times, but reading things in here is helping and inspiring a lot! I’m so very happy to have found this site.  So I want to share some things I’m noticing since quitting. I now have a random annoying tickle in my throat that only stops after I cough very hard, so hard it makes my lungs and back hurt. Thankfully im not bringing anything up with it. I know my lungs are beginning to heal and return to a normal function again, but it’s a pain in my butt especially when it wakes me up a lot through the night. I’m having a hard enough time falling asleep and staying asleep as it is. Mood swings are getting a little better. I honestly miss eating crap more than drinking or smoking.  I’m avoiding stress like the plague which isn’t that difficult as I don’t work anymore.  Some big pluses are I am smelling and tasting things so much better, I can easily go for walks, exercise and play with my dogs running around outside now without shortness of breath.  At first I was really tired but lately I’m a ball of energy. I have more free time now and my house is getting clean and organized. My BP and resting pulse are dropping, I may soon be off some meds! Thank you for reading this and being such a helpful awesome group of people. ❤️ 

29 Replies
Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
cat52

Wow! Congratulations! I am on day 17 quitting smoking and reading this inspired me!!! I noticed you said you were very tired at first and now have much more energy- how long did it take for that to kick in? I know keeping busy would keep my mind off not smoking, but I literally feel my energy has been zapped since I quit. Keep up the good work! Cat52

Nsg6662

Thank you! Glad you are inspired! It took about 3 weeks till I started having energy again. Hang in there, you will get there. 

0 Kudos
Giulia

Hi Michelle!  Just wanted to jump on and add my welcome.  Great first post.  And kudos on your first smoke-free month.  No mean feat!  I felt the same way when I quit - full of energy.  Many gold stars to you for quitting three things at once.  Superwoman!  You just stay connected here and vent when you need to.  You ought to be mighty proud of yourself! 

Nsg6662

Thank you! I hardly feel like a superwoman yet, but I’m going to keep trying. My momma didn’t raise no quitter.  

elvan

Congratulations, Michelle, you are really rocking this quit.  I am very happy for you.

Ellen

Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Giulia

Keep DOING.  The "trying" part is over.  You've already done it.  You know?

Nsg6662

Yes! Yesterday I went on a car trip with my husband who smokes and I disliked the smell of him smoking for the first time! I’m so excited to finally NOT like the smell of cigarettes lol. 

Giulia

It's amazing, isn't it, that we used to smell just like that and never noticed it!  Rah Rah!