cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Nsg6662

Changes

Hi everyone, I’m Michelle and this is my first post here. I’m a 54 year old pack a day ex  (I smoked for 40 years),  who will be smoke, alcohol and fattening food free 30 days tomorrow. I am on Chantix since quitting. I understand quitting all three things at once greatly increases my chances for failing one or all of them but I had some very critical level blood work that demands I either change my lifestyle drastically and now, or not be here to see my grandchildren grow. It’s very hard at times, but reading things in here is helping and inspiring a lot! I’m so very happy to have found this site.  So I want to share some things I’m noticing since quitting. I now have a random annoying tickle in my throat that only stops after I cough very hard, so hard it makes my lungs and back hurt. Thankfully im not bringing anything up with it. I know my lungs are beginning to heal and return to a normal function again, but it’s a pain in my butt especially when it wakes me up a lot through the night. I’m having a hard enough time falling asleep and staying asleep as it is. Mood swings are getting a little better. I honestly miss eating crap more than drinking or smoking.  I’m avoiding stress like the plague which isn’t that difficult as I don’t work anymore.  Some big pluses are I am smelling and tasting things so much better, I can easily go for walks, exercise and play with my dogs running around outside now without shortness of breath.  At first I was really tired but lately I’m a ball of energy. I have more free time now and my house is getting clean and organized. My BP and resting pulse are dropping, I may soon be off some meds! Thank you for reading this and being such a helpful awesome group of people. ❤️ 

29 Replies
Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Verghese

I wish you all the best with the quit smoking and the steps you are taking to improve your health. 

Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Sootie

Hi Michelle-----so nice to have you here at EX. Sounds like you are well on your way to success...and may I say....WOW!!!! Smoking, drinking and crappy food????? All at once?? Great job. This IS a great site and the support and friendship you'll find here can be a HUGE help in quitting. If you have not yet been told....there is a great site called whyquit.com.......excellent articles there on quitting covering every topic.I used it daily for the first few month of my quit.

WELCOME TO EX!! We are all here for each other.

Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
MichelleDiane

Welcome to the community Michelle (from another Michelle).  Congratulations on quitting.  Hope to see you around the ex community.

-Michelle

Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Christine13

Welcome!  You are doing just awesome on all levels!

Nsg6662

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Sandi4

Nsg6662‌ - Good morning and WELCOME to the community!  You're doing great and we're all rooting for you!!!

Sandi