cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

tnjhoffman

Anxiety

Does anyone else suffer from anxiety and the thought of quitting smoking is making it "peak"??

15 Replies
freeneasy

Congratulations, quitting is the best give you can give yourself.  Cigarettes are not your buddy-they're the furthest thing from it.  When you gain your freedom back from addiction, you'll wish you had done it sooner Why Am I Afraid to Quit Smoking? I Hate Smoking! r.

0 Kudos
tnjhoffman

GREAT articles! Please keep them coming!

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

This is only my situation, take what applies and leave the rest. I found that with my anxiety that if I keep building something up, making a mountain out of a molehill, then my anxiety rises till I'm in the hospital again thinking I'm having a, mild :

Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack)

Then only to find out it is anxiety. I would have to take strong pills to keep this from happening. Until I figured out all on my own that I can be in control of me. Granted it took time to learn how. But I did learn how. Now for the past couple of years, no anxiety med's and no anxiety/panic attacks to speak of. I have to keep myself in check during stress or certain situations. It is doable. I know because I'm doing it. I had to change my environment, but that was for me. Not saying that is what you need to do. Take what helps and leave the rest. 

One thing I'd get all worked up about would be quitting smoking. Husband would take cigg's, money, cards and keys so I couldn't smoke.Talk about a high energy situation. But I learned how to cope with anxiety when I moved in with my mom. Such a sweet lady and super mom. So for the past 3 years I've been in a peaceful and loving environment. Sometimes a change is needed sometimes not. You have to figure out what stresses you out and find your happy spot while these things go on around you. Close your eyes concentrate on your heart beats and your breathing. Slow them down. Try to breath slow, eyes closed tune out what is going on. If you need to excuse yourself to a safe place. Meditation type such, you can find a lot just google it meditation.

Long enough, enough said. I sincerely hope this helps you and others dealing with anxiety and panic attacks.

0 Kudos
tnjhoffman

This helps me soo much! I am taking this all in!

0 Kudos
Showiestodin

I'm happy I can help you, anyone in any way, that makes me happy. PM me any time you want to.

0 Kudos
avian3

YES!! The anticipation to quit smoking was the worst! The five days before I actually quit I did nothing but smoke my brains out dreading the day I planned to quit. I thought of nothing else except how would I go about my life without cigarettes. BUT once I quit, the anxiety began to subside. The more time I was smoke free and began to build confidence, the less anxiety I had. It was the anticipation that was the worst part for me.

0 Kudos