cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

alynn0014

ANXIETY QUITTING SOON

Hello All,

I am going to be quitting tomorrow. I am going to do it so I am no longer a slave to an object, so I can be healthier, so my anxiety will lessen (eventually), and because I really, really want to. I am nervous about cravings, but I cannot wait to not say "Where did I put my vape?" I am so excited to be saving $150-$200 per month! I will be so happy to be the first person in my family to quit, and help them quit too, when they're ready. Wish me luck, say a prayer, and tell me I got this! 

4 Replies
maryfreecig

No need for luck, you have done the work and are ready to work for your quit one day at a time. Welcome to Ex. Blog, comment, read and get acquainted with the community. We're rooting for you!

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Congratulations on your decision to quit vaping . It's common sense that anything you put in your lungs that isn't clean air can't be good for you! You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: I Quit Smoking and Vaping - EX Community . If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”, which can be purchased online or borrowed from your local library. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction : Nicotine and Your Brain.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced. Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take the Daily Pledge each day, Just look for it on the home page. It helps to hold yourself accountable to your quit and the community..

You need to distract yourself through any craves. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits. Get busy! Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it. You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @alynn0014 please read the links suggested above and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb its not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths you've got this! Believe it! 

Barbscloud

@alynn0014 Welcome to the Ex and congrats on your first day vape free.  Anxiety is normal.  We've used nicotine for every activity and emotion in our lives.   Approaching your quit one day at a time will help to alleviate the anxiety.

In addition to a quit date, some aids, and smoking cessation class, I was lucky to find the Ex a week prior to my quit.  I leaned about nicotine addiction and that I need to a plan to cope with cravings, triggers, etc.   I skipped these steps in the past and was never successful.  And having the support of fellow quitters saved my quit several times early on.

With knowledge and support, you can do this too.   We're here to share you're journey.  We've been there, so we know what it takes to be successful.   Work and commitment will get you where you want to be - an ex-smoker .  Use this time to prepare for you quit on the 1st.  

This link is a great place to start:

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

Also, consider taking the Daily Pledge to stay on track one day at a time.  I look forward to celebrating your many milestones on your journey.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

0 Kudos