cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Jdrop

Anxiety

I’m on day 4 of quitting vape. Did anyone notice a huge spike in anxiety/panic around this time after quitting? Or is it something else causing it?

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
maryfreecig

By the fourth day all nicotine is out of your system typically--so this is when your brain goes a little nutty wondering where the drug it is dependent on is...

One step at a time you can work through this. As you keep saying no and keep staying busy doing other things your brain's request for dope will get weaker and weaker.

Behavior modification is the biggest part of quitting a dependency. 

316218458_463466149244455_7344345187593041005_n.jpg20220808_163610.jpgScreenshot 2022-10-30 at 10.05.56 PM.png

YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Perfectly normal, I'm afraid.  The early days of a quit include physical withdrawal, then it's a few weeks for your body's chemistry to adjust to functioning without the drug.  THEN it's mostly the psychological (associations and triggers) with which you need to deal.  Educating about nicotine addiction is an important first step in your recovery.

You will need to substitute “vape” or “device” as you do the reading I will recommend. Research suggests nicotine may be as addictive as heroin and cocaine. Because vaping is available to you most anywhere, anytime, I believe it might be more difficult from which to break free than regular tobacco products - but it CAN be done! There is a blog written by one of our success stories that you might find informative: I Quit Smoking and Vaping - EX Community . If you would like to use a quit aid and would like information on the various ones, let me know.

I recommend that you educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind To that end, I suggest Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”, which can be purchased online or borrowed from your local library. Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction : Nicotine and Your Brain.

The idea is to change up your routines so the vaping associations are reduced. Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from where you vaped. Maybe switch to tea for a bit. If you always had that first puff with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to vape so the view is different. Take a different route when you are out and about so you aren't driving by your vaping supply shop. Take the Daily Pledge each day, Just look for it on the home page. It helps to hold yourself accountable to your quit and the community..

You need to distract yourself through any craves. You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game. Keep a cold bottle of water with you from which to sip. Don't let that vaping thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits. Get busy! Here is a list of things to do instead of vape if you need some fresh ideas:

101 Things to Do Instead of Smoke - EX Community

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want to vape" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?" Then DO it. You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

Barbscloud

@Jdrop  Not an uncommon withdrawal symptom. Our bodies are going to react the loss of nicotine and a multitude of chemicals, so be patient with your self.  The nicotine will gradually diminish over 3 - 4 weeks and then you move on the psychological part of quitting.  It takes some work unlearning all the connections we have to smoking.    If you haven't been reading material on the site it will help you to work on the tools you'll need to be successful.  This link is a great place to start.

https://www.becomeanex.org/guides/?cid=footer_community_linktobex

These are" few" the common withdrawal symptoms:

Withdrawal symptoms.png

Super congrats on 4 days of success.  You got this!    Reach out anytime we can help.

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

Jdrop

That makes sense I’ve been doing a bunch of research. Been going through a lot mentally and am on some meds (for now) to help with that problem. After reading how it effects the brain I decided I needed to quit finally. However I did not quit cold turkey, I am doing pouches just to ease out of it but only do like 1 pouch a day… so this would still explain the “smokers flu” and exaggerated anxiety/panic yesterday. Today was not to bad. 

biscuit9

Loads of information about anxiety and nicotine, on the internet and on this site.  Read all that you can, as it will help you navigate through these early days.  I did not experience anxiety/panic, I mostly felt sadness around day 4.  Sadness, frustration on those days.  Nicotine addiction is real.  My withdrawals were strong, and it took everything I had mentally, not to give in to the nicotine monster.  That monster was not used to being told "NO".  As a Christian, I was able to lean on God, and I credit Him for getting me nicotine-free today.  Quit day 89 for me.  "You can climb this mountain.  The view from the top is amazing".

Jdrop

I have been doing a lot of research the past few weeks on general health and what can cause bad mental health. Been going through a lot lately and this is one change out of like 6 other HUGE lively changes that I’m making. I do admit I did not quit cold turkey and am using zyns to ease off the nicotine. However I do it 1 time maybe 2 times a day and it’s the lowest level they have of nicotine which is still a huge drop compared to like 16 hours a day puffing 35mg vape juice with nicotine in my system. We’ll see where this goes but my goal is to quit nicotine all together by the end of the month. Quit vape✔️ quit nicotine (loading)

YoungAtHeart

Just as every person is unique, so can every successful quit method be.  Sounds like you have a reasonable plan.  Stick to it and you should be successful.  

Let us know if you need help when you are ready to wean down off the Zyn and we can try to help.

Nancy

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

@Jdrop Hi, how is your quit going?  Hope you're still on track.

Happy Holidays.

Barb

0 Kudos