cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Biscuit

brand new

Just found this site while looking for aids to quit smoking. Where do I start. I feel I should go smoke just thinking about quitting- must quit! Help?

im the only one in my household who smokes and need someone to chat with

23 Replies

Everyone has the choice to do this any way they want. Here's how I got my head around quitting before I began without any stress or apprehension.

Where Does It Come From? 

Laugh when you get a crave, out loud, whether you feel it or not. Hearing yourself will trigger a temporary break in your thinking. That's all it takes.

For real stubborn craves use sensory distractions read the link below.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/thread/6592-the-senses-can-override-your-thinking 

Biscuit

Thank you. I think simply having a community to talk to will be a huge help. This is for my health my children and husband. No more "wait a minute while I smoke" or mouthwash and perfume before going into work. 

Knowledge is key. Attitude is key.

NOT Fighting with yourself is key.

I hope you will read the links I gave you.

Long after people stop using nicotine memories and emotions that they have connected to smoking are what become the driving force behind cravings.

TIME IS THE HEALER.

Giulia

Howdy and welcome.  Support is what made THE difference in my quit.  I think of quitting as a skill that can be learned.  Just like any other skill, it takes commitment, education, dedication, and perseverance.  We can assist with the education and motivation, but the commitment is entirely up to you.  One area where you might spend some time reading would be the https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/groups/best-of-ex?sr=search&searchId=f912332c-89fa-45a0-9e33-672a...‌  The more you know about this addiction and your particular relationship to it, the better prepared and armed you'll be for the journey ahead.  Have heart and keep your chin up!  Quitting is incredibly empowering!

When I first thought about quitting, I called the quit line and when someone answered, I hung up! I then had what felt like a panic attack just thinking about quitting. That's how strong the addiction is! In order to quit, we must first accept that we're addicts and then learn how to deal with that addiction. I did eventually recall that quit line and six years ago, I put out my last cigarette.

All I can say is it's a journey and as with any journey, one must first prepare to do it. There will be lot's of reading for you to do as others come by, along with the links Dale has already given you. Do all of the studying you can! It could save your life by helping you to quit. When I quit, I used the patch. I call the patch "quitting on training wheels" because it doesn't totally take away the craves. Instead, you end up feeling them but it takes the edge off of them. This allows you to learn what it's like in the end after the last patch.

Quitting really is doable, even if it doesn't seem like it to you now. We've all felt the same fear of quitting that you're feeling now. And we've all gone through the first hard days. We'll be there with you as you fight for freedom. You won't have to feel alone at all. I wish you success and look forward to your freedom. All you have to do is get ready and take that first step.

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

Biscuit

Thank you. I'm struggling to figure out what my role is as I prepare for my quit date. I am reading all the info sent my way. I feel awkward smoking until my quit date. Like I need to get in all I can before "the day". 

0 Kudos

all you have to do is tell yourself to wait a little longer when you get the thought of smoking. It will get you off autopilot.

try it.