cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Masako1

Brand new here

Hello, I am a nursing student and I use smoking as a way to deal with stress, I don't have a support system and I am a private smoker, meaning most people do not know that I do. I kept thinking that it would be easier for me to quit that way. I've tried to hide it from my daughter for that reason, but I have not been able to quit. She is now 15 and knows I smoke, she is very disappointed in me. I want to stop so badly, my health is at a crossroads, if I don't stop, things can get bad. I want to quit and quit for good.

Thanks for reading this.

Labels (1)
2 Replies
JustinHoot99

Hi @Masako1 I was also a private, or as I called it, closet smoker.  Just stopped 13 days ago.  We have something "extra" to deal with.  Since people don't know, or we assume/pretend they don't know, we can't share with a lot of people we are quitting.  I have never smoked in front of anyone, not even my wife.  I don't even smoke on my own property. Generally, I just go for drives multiple times/day and hikes in the woods.  Obviously my wife knew I smoked, and some other people knew I smoked just from the smell.  But I would drive in the coldest days w/ my car windows down and fan blowing to try to help w/ the smell.  You do have a support system now, you are on it.  Pick the date, get started, and be on here tons.  The only person outside of this site I wanted as a support buddy was a FB friend on the other side of the world.  I don't even discuss my quit w/ my wife as she has seen so many attempts before that I just would feel silly discussing it w/ her.  I did have her hide my keys for the first 3 days which killed my access to getting cigarettes and driving.
Anyways, I know first hand what you are feeling, so you do have at least one person here who understands closet/private smoking.  And even if others don't have that experience, they will still be supportive.  Once you start your quit, spend a lot of time on here to distract your mind and keep your resolve strong.  Another good site I like is whyquit.com.  Hope it's alright for me to post that on here.

Barbscloud

Welcome to the Ex @Masako1 You can do this.  Many quitters don't have friends or family to support them--that's what we're here for. 

Read the material on the site so you understand this addiction.  It goes a long way towards a successful quit. 

Create a quit plan with the tools you'll use and the new associations you'll create instead of smoking.

I skipped these two steps in the past and always failed.   Knowledge and preparation has made quitting possible for many of us.

We're to support you, so begin your journey.

Barb

0 Kudos