cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Kim93

Brand New Here ~ Not at smoking

Hi All.  Just joined up!  Good luck to you all. 

I smoked from the time I was 17 until I was 28 and quit.  Started smoking about five years ago.....brilliant, right?  So here I am, on the patch and on my fifth week without a cigarette.  Need some help.....Does anyone have any tips on how to handle really stressful situations like arguments with your spouse or mate?  I've come soooo close to smoking on a couple of occasions.  I'd appreciate any comments.  🙂 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
andreabg

HA!  No help here; that's my main excuse to continue smoking.  Drinking is a total trigger for me as well.  I set my quit date for Feb. 4 and Ex advised that it may be too soon (divorce, selling house, fairly new job).  Let me know if you get any good advice!

Good Luck!

Andrea

0 Kudos
Kim93

HA!  Back atchya.  Divorce is why I started smoking again five years ago.  LOL  That's a tough one.

0 Kudos

This might sound kind of silly.  But, I carry a tennis ball around with me.  When I get serious cravings I find a nice hard surface to bounce it on, like a sidewalk or a brick/cinderblock wall.  We have a basketball at work that I bounce around, too.  Slamming something around that is meant to be knocked about might help with the tension.  I have found that this kind of movement, testing my hand-eye coordination, helps me clear my head.  Gives me a good reason to sneak away and be alone for a moment to unwind, cool off, and re-think the situation. 

0 Kudos