cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

JenDyer34

Day 4 of my quit voyage.

I am now at day 4 of my quit and yesterday afternoon I started the worst headache I have ever had.  I STILL have it.  Advil doesn't seem to do anything for it.  It feels like my brain is to big for my skull.  Throbbing pain.  Like labor contractions in my cranium.  Does anyone have any ideas for relief?  I am taking Zyban.  I'm trying not to do any nicotine replacement but starting to reconsider.  Can't sleep, don't want to eat, just hurts.  I was prepared for the mental anguish of withdrawals.  Edgy, shaky, grumpy.  I never thought there would be physical pain!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
susan_m

Man, quitting sucks!  Trust me, smoking is worse.  I wish I had strong advice for you... someone else will come along and have some, I am sure.

Mine is that it won't last, Jen.  Hang in there.  It really does start getting easier, and very soon.  It was much better for me around day 6.

Just remember how far you've come - 4 days is HUGE.  Hang in there!

Susan

0 Kudos
Fergiebarber

Jen, day 3 was by far my worst day. Just remember a cig. Is not going to cure your migraine. It will only add another problem. Remember N.O.P.E.  Not one puff EVER!!! Hang in there girl, all of us are pulling for you! 

0 Kudos
YoungAtHeart

Try massaging your temples, then put an Ace-type bandage around your head to lightly compress your temples, lie down with your legs up at a height (with pillows) above your heart, and drink lots and lots of cold water.  This was advice I got from a doctor one time when I had a migraine and wasn't allowed to take any medication for it.

If it doesn't improve over the next day or two, I would recommend calling your doctor.

Feel better!

Nancy

diamond01

Hi, I had terrible headaches for about the first week, well the first month is a bitch,but you will make it just stay postive, and don't let your mind play tricks on you, like I can do this if I have one puff ,that always went through my head, you got this, good look.  

0 Kudos

I had mild headaches when I quit, which I blamed on the patches. I would get what I call "baby migraines" because first I would see colors and then as the colors cleared, a small headache would start. Thankfully, mine is treatable with aspirin, though I still get a little foggy along with it.

The main thing right now is to stick to your quit. It's worth the current misery to find peace and freedom!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

0 Kudos
Bree19

Hi Jen

I'm on day 18 of my quit so the first week is still fresh in my mind.  All I can say (which isn't going to get you pain-free):  

I started a 3-day headache...lasted from day 3 to bedtime on day 5.  Advil, Aspirin, Celebrex- tried it all and the pain just sat there.  On day 6 it was gone and hasn't returned.  I hope yours moves on quickly.

Bree

0 Kudos
freeneasy

Since you have come this far without using an NRT by now most of the nicotine is out of your system and I don't think it would help to give you relief from a terrible headache. You're getting through the hardest part. Maybe an over the counter sleep aid would help you to get some sleep. Have faith. It will get better. 

0 Kudos
JACKIE1-25-15

If the meds may be what is causing you from not sleeping take them earlier in the day you may see a difference.  

0 Kudos
elvan

I am so sorry that you are having a rough time.  I hate headaches and used to suffer from migraines years ago.  I am not sure if your headache is a reaction to the Wellbutrin or not, you could call the pharmacy and ask to speak to the pharmacist...they might be able to tell you how common that reaction is.  I would drink as much water or other fluids as you can and I would not use a nicotine replacement but that's because I agree with freeneasy‌ that the nicotine is likely out of your system by now.  The last thing I would want to do is to reintroduce it.  Certainly try what Nancy recommended, you might also try an ice pack alternating with a warm compress.  At one point in time, I was told to warm my hands under hot water to relieve the pain.  I can't say that it ever worked but I do believe that I tried anything and everything that anyone suggested.

It will get easier, everything WILL get better, quitting is the best thing you can do for yourself although I doubt that you are feeling that way right now.  I think that for the first weeks, we blamed everything on our quits...EVERYTHING.  I have no idea how many things are really related.

Best,

Ellen