cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

I Found Cooking Was A Great Distraction.

Screen Shot 02-25-17 at 09.22 AM.JPG

DSCF2082.JPG

I made this today and it turned out really well.

Do you have a recipe to share?

21 Replies
YoungAtHeart

Whole Foods Deli (or pizza station, or hot or cold salad bar)!

0 Kudos

that's more like a restaurant than a recipe.

0 Kudos
tjanddj

I find cooking a great distraction for all things in life. A few months ago I made 1-3 new recipes a day for 10 days straight. It was a great way to introduce vegetables and flavorings I never tried before and a great distraction. I enjoyed doing that very much and will do it again! I used the money I had saved from not smoking to buy all the ingredients. I would share a recipe but not very many people are ready for my food world. Yet.

bonniebee

Hey you'd be surprised  Trudy ! 

0 Kudos
tjanddj

Some truth to that Bonnie!

My husband actually liked a lot of the recipes I made including the bean and the veggie burgers. When I take food to potlucks it gets eaten up!

John10forteen

Yum, looks good. I can't believe you did a food blog. I was going to surprise you with a Chile Rellano blog tomorrow! 

Cooking is also more fun without the cigarettes and ashtrays all over the place, and yes a good distraction for sure.

A Basic Roux = equal parts Fat & Flour (Fat can be anything Butter, Meatloaf or Steak drippings, Bacon fat, Turkey etc.). Cook well together in bottom of sauce pan (or pan you cooked your meat in) for several minutes stirring consistently.

The idea here is to let the flour cook thoroughly before adding any other liquid.

Add water, stirring constantly.... smoothest gravy ever! Season to taste. 

Add Milk gradually stirring constantly = White sauce / + Cheese (lots and strong flavor is what I like) = Cheese sauce

Jennifer-Quit

Sounds good Dale - I may have to try that.  I suppose the turkey makes it healthier? 

actually I just used the turkey as "lean protein"  🙂

Daniela2016

Unfortunately mom thought me how to cook, and my son getting frustrated when he is asking me about a recipe, because it is a pinch of that, a little of that, cook it till tender or tasting good...hard to get quantities or times from me on traditional Romanian recipes

But I have a Middle Eastern one I made many times, and loved every time; grill the meat, and serve it with pita bread, hummus, garlic aioli, and some salad, you can wrap it all in the bread, delicious...

Chicken Shawarma Ingredients (5 servings)

• 2.5 lbs of thinly cut skinless boneless chicken breast
  • 1/2 cup of lemon juice
  • 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of crushed/powder oregano (or thyme)
  • 1 teaspoon of paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder (optional)
  • 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
  • 4 tablespoons of plain yogurt
  • 3 tablespoons of white vinegar
  • 8 crushed garlic cloves
  • 2 tablespoons of canola/vegetable oil
  • 1 tablespoon of salt

Chicken Shawarma Marination

1. Mix all ingredients well and marinate the chicken overnight in the fridge.
  2. To get the most flavor try to marinate at least 6-8 hours, and if you have plenty of time a  two-day marination is ideal.