cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

andrew3

workers getting mad

Well yesterday my dad just lost 25% of his contract pay. We still have to do the same amount of work, but with less cash. Which means one person is going to be fired today. I already know how it is, and to tell you the truth I thought he should have gone a long time ago.

However since we have less people this means more responsibility falls on me. I am a full time college student, going on two days a week, but then I work three days a week. Now every Tuesday and Thursday after my classes I am making phone calls to workers to make sure they are doing what they are supposed to, and making sure they are not getting into verbal fights with other employees at the stores we vendor for. However this is very hard not to do. The employees can be very ignorant towards us, which of course upsets people.

The only problem is we can't have these issues, because well the company we get our contracts from will dock our pay. So I started something new, every fight or conduct not productive to our company, I dock my workers pay for an hour. Lets just say they are enraged by what I am doing, but it must be done. Any other ideas on how to reward them, and punish them more effectively to get the message through to them?
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
edith2

I think an hour is very reasonable and should get their attention. I drive cab, and when I get a call, I have to take it, unless I'm "occupied" with another customer. If I don't take the call, I get put on the "dead board" for an hour. I've never refused a call, because of the economy, I need each and every one! But there are some drivers out there who are nit-picky about their fares. I think it's rude to be that way. Whether a customer needs to go three blocks or 45 miles to the airport, they are all important. Whether I drive a CEO or a homeless person, they get the same respect, because they deserve it as human beings. I would suggest you have a stand-up talk with your employees and let them know your policies and that there are no exceptions when it comes to the code of ethics. If I pay for a service, like say, getting my hair done, I don't want my hairdresser fighting with a co-worker while they're cutting my hair! Yikes!
0 Kudos
anna12

I think docking their pay is very reasonable. Working on contracts, you have to be on your best behavior! It makes the company look bad if they are always fighting with each other or the vendor employees. Tell them if they don't like the new policy, try to find a job somewhere else then, that might make them think a lil bit before opening their mouth next time with jobs being so hard to find everywhere! And remember: DON'T SMOKE WHEN STRESSED!! LOL Your doing great hon, keep it up!

XOXO
=0)
0 Kudos