cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

donna52

cant breath

Hey everyone. This is my third or fourth time quitting. I have never had any breathing problems, but...amazingly...everytime I quit I seems to have a hard time breathing for weeks. My roommate quit smoking and the same thing happened to her..she was really winded. Ive googled this and many..many..ex smokers complain of the same problems. I guess the lungs are cleaing themselves but it sucks to not breath good...especially when you stop smoking to avoid furture breathing problems. Anyone else experience this??
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
nancy_o

How ironic that you do bad things such as smoke and don't have breathing problems but when you stop smoking that's when you have trouble breathing.
0 Kudos
donna52

I know..lol..Its crazy. My mom quit 15 yrs ago, and she remembers having the exact same problem and being frustrated because she never had a problem until she quit. On the plus side...Ive done this before so I know my breathing will regulate soon= 🙂
0 Kudos
heidi8

I dunno - can't say I've had that experience. It does sound crazy. I wonder if it's just that you are more aware of your breathing now that you are quit and altho' you had the "problem" before you either didn't notice or just ignored it because if you'd really paid attention to it, that would have been too scary. Here's what I'm thinking - I quit CT one time when I was facing lung surgery...in the days preceding the surgery, I took walks everyday to try to exercise what I thought were already "dead" lungs ...weird thinking...anyway, I felt winded and as tho' I had no "air" - BUT when I went for a spirometery test (breathing) my lung capacity had increased so much that the technician was kinda wondering why I was even there. Furthermore, I had some other minor out patient surgeries in my past - not lung related - where my recovery period was tough and I was awful. This time - with just 2 wks. of no smokes before the surgery, it was like a miracle. Not that I didn't experience any pain, there was some, but the projected recovery period and the actual recovery period were VASTLY different. So, my guess is that perhaps you are just focusing more on your breathing and realizing how bad it is/was...I'm not an MD tho' so maybe I'm just "blowing smoke" - HA! Hope it gets better for you soon.
0 Kudos
donna52

lol...thanks for the input. As i said, when I goolgled it there are literally hundreds of posts that claim the same things and doctors have replied that it is because the lungs are cleaning themselves by sweeping out the gunk lol. I def would have noticed a breathing problem, and my mom and roommate both experienced it. Its all good tho cause Im a NON SMOKER yayayayayayuy!!!!!
0 Kudos
Denise28

I took a dance class yesterday and quite honestly, I have felt the same way. I kept wondering why I was so out of breath so fast. I guess it takes time before you really feel better. One of my other friends that quit 5 years ago said it took him 2 years before he finally started feeling better.
0 Kudos
donna52

welll...I knew I wasnt going crazy because so many others have gone through the same thing. I wish i lived closer to u...Ive been dying to take a dance class...something fun like Salsa lol. Awesome..good 4 u!
0 Kudos
nancy_o

Speaking of can't breath.....since it's pretty outside I'm getting ready to take a break and walk around our campus lake (or some of it anyway)......I'm a beginner walker.... 🙂
0 Kudos
donna52

good for u...walking is great exercise...and good for the soul 🙂 I just started walking again too
0 Kudos
nancy_o

Well when I got to the lake I really realized how big it was and I was only on a 15 minute break so I decided to just walk a shorter route. It's amazing how much bigger the lake looks when I'm walking towards it vs. when I'm driving by! Oh well I am just a beginner - gotta start somewhere.
0 Kudos