cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bkufeld

16 year old son who doesn't care about dangers!

Hi, I am new to this group.  I have a 16 year old son who vapes.  He keeps denying it, but we keep finding vapes and I have actually caught him vaping in his room.  As much as we impart the dangers of vaping to him, he tunes us out and doesn't seem to care.  Grounding him is not the answer as it doesn't eliminate the behavior.  How can I really get through to him and trust him to go back to his friends house where his friends vape.  I am sure this post is very common.  Any help, suggestions or shared experiences that u can help, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks so much.

Labels (1)
19 Replies
ClearColors

Welcome bkufeld.

WhispersQSMB‌ has done a bit of research on vaping.  I'm curious if he has any suggestions?

What I have found that might help is, to show how they are being manipulated.

I remember reading how teenagers upon learning that they were being manipulated by Big Tobacco, reacted strongly against nicotine.

also 

https://e-cigarettes.surgeongeneral.gov/documents/SGR_ECig_ParentTipSheet_508.pdf 

Your son is lucky to have a concerned parent.

best to you and yours,

Nancy

Barbscloud

Sorry about your son.   It's not easy to change someone's behavior, especially if they have an addiction-nicotine in this case.  The Ex is part of the Truth Initiative and there is a also a site now to help young people to quit vaping.  You might find it helpful.

Barb

https://www.thetruth.com/articles/hot-topic/quit-vaping 

KellanC74

I am a parent of a 15 year old that decided to vape and drink.  Even after getting a concussion....  But I was able to restrict who she hung out with/slept over at with friends.  I was not able to stop the friendship but I was still smoking and telling my kid not to vape, then when it came time for my health and knowing I needed to be the example I have quit.  My kid now tells me that if she had known the consequences of vaping she would never had tried it  

Giulia

Here another link that might assist:  https://truthinitiative.org/thisisquitting from which the one above stems.

And a couple more that may help:

Teen smoking: How to help your teen quit - Mayo Clinic 

How to Help Teenagers Quit Vaping - The New York Times 

And if they watch this cartoon, it might open their eyes a bit (just exchange the work smoking with vaping).

indingrl

Welcome and I am so very sorry YOUR son NICOTINE addiction - prayers lifted for YOU and family - in MY Lord Jesus name amen

WhispersQSMB

After i quit smoking i used Blu and vaped, its the same, same buzz and your son is addicted and will lie to you to hide it from you. You have  educate him about the dangers of nicotine.

LynnK

I am no help...but

I also have a 16 yr old son that chooses to vape. Except he isn't vaping nicotine. He is vaping the synthetic marijuana. I am at the end of my rope with him. I have grounded, talked, begged, pleaded, talked to all his friends(they do it too) followed him to his source. Talked to law enforcement....What else can I do?

Giulia

My heart goes out to you.  I wish I had an answer.  Has he perhaps seen any of the news articles on those who have died from vaping THC?  Or is it just mom telling him?  And would it even have any impact if you put them in front of him?  Probably not.  As an ex smoker - it was never going to happen to me.  We all stuck our heads in the sand.  Some wised up too late after there was no hope for future quality of life.  Some wised up after their health had already been compromised but could still have quality of life.  You can't make somebody do what they don't want to do.  We each have our wising up time.  I hope his comes soon than later.  

Cousin-Itt

LynnK and bkufeld      My very first concern would be to make sure that they are not vaping black market oils especially THC / Cannabis oils as these are believed to be causing the illnesses.

Christmas Eve my nephews 23 year old girl friend was vaping right next to me I looked at her and asked her notto do it by me due to my COPD She apologized and I asked about vaping She looked at me and she goes I hear from my parents constantly She was polite wasn't rude and went outside the rest of the night. It reminded me when I was16 and get caught smoking pot and cigarettes I caught hell the more they preached the better I hid it and the more I stayed away from the house and less I talked to them.  Just my opinion Try to find away to talk to them without beating them up or talking down to them   I don't know how but I would ask some one I hope for the best