cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

Trouble today but I got through it without smoking my brains out over it I can do this

Today I was going to Sam’s Club to get my medication filled and my car died on a busy highway with high traffic.  There is a lot of construction being done on that highway so there was nowhere to even pull off to roll to a total stop on the left side of the road.  So I finally came to a stop with a really big truck behind me and an anxiety attack wanted to start up with me and I could feel my heart beating so hard it felt a drummer bounding on the drums.  I put my car in park when my car finally stopped completely and then got it started again but my anxiety wanted to take off like a rocket then.  So there I was in my car yelling out loud to myself you can do this stay calm you’re not going to have an anxiety attack breathe woman in and out in and out relax when you breathe out.  I told myself out loud again and again you’re going to be ok you can do this just breathe in and out slowly stay calm you are going to make it.  I could feel my anxiety getting better by doing this and I finally got to Sam’s club.  Then when I was waiting for my medicine I realized I did not even want a cigarette after having my car do this to me and having an anxiety attack wanting to start up with me I calmed myself down without a smoke and I thought wow I have come a long way to do this. In the past I would have wanted to smoke my brains out over something like this but now I am in control of bad situations not my addiction.  All I have to do is stay calm and talk to myself out loud because I sure did not have anyone with me to calm myself down just me.  I keep telling new people you can do this and today after saying this for years this is the first thing that popped into my head to tell myself when in a crisis and it worked.  So my advice to everyone still is you can do this keep telling yourself you can every time you want to smoke or even have a crisis going on.

30 Replies
MarilynH

You did super fantastic Christine it's amazing after we've been quit for awhile that we'll still get that urge to Smoke but thankfully we know better and can take that deep breath or two and focus on the issue which we can actually get through much better without the smokes, thanks for sharing this great post, huge hug coming your way my friend and Fellow Exer and most definetly EXtended family XO.....

Legend

MarilynH   Thanks Marilyn I am calling today a big victory and I am glad I am smoke free still.  You never know what is going to happen from day to day but we can handle anything without smoking we don’t need smokes.

sweetplt

I am so sorry Legend this happened to you...I say this from the bottom of my heart from someone who had a major anxiety attack driving several years ago...and took a long time to get back in the car...now I drive just local to get my confidence up...but I too have to talk to myself in the car from time to time...anyways, I am so glad you are safe...and glad you didn’t smoke...relax this evening and take care of you..~ Colleen 219 DOF 

Legend

sweetplt   I’m sorry to hear you have to put up with these anxiety attacks also it is so scary when they come on especially in the car and all alone.  Saying the words out loud to myself seems to work better than just thinking the words to myself.  I’m glad it is over and I am relaxing tonight.    

elvan

Beautiful, Christine, sorry you had to go through that but beautiful way to handle it!  Congratulations.

Ellen

Legend

elvan  Thanks Ellen It's all over now and I feel good at home and I am sitting here having some great french fries made in my air fryer. 

elvan

You EARNED them!

TriGirl

Good for you! I had few anxious moments this week, but every time I get through it and pretty much go, "Huh. Would you look at that? I didn't smoke but I feel better!" If I had, I realize I would have totally made myself feel worse by giving up my quit. You had a very nerve wracking experience, but you handled it smoke free. And now that you are feeling better, realize YOU handled what needed to be done and YOU were in control of what you could control. Kudos!!!

Legend

TriGirl   Thanks

I think you are doing great on your quit you just keep going forward no matter what happens.  Different problems will always be around but we can overcome them without smoking.  I hope all goes well for you in the future.