cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

Trouble today but I got through it without smoking my brains out over it I can do this

Today I was going to Sam’s Club to get my medication filled and my car died on a busy highway with high traffic.  There is a lot of construction being done on that highway so there was nowhere to even pull off to roll to a total stop on the left side of the road.  So I finally came to a stop with a really big truck behind me and an anxiety attack wanted to start up with me and I could feel my heart beating so hard it felt a drummer bounding on the drums.  I put my car in park when my car finally stopped completely and then got it started again but my anxiety wanted to take off like a rocket then.  So there I was in my car yelling out loud to myself you can do this stay calm you’re not going to have an anxiety attack breathe woman in and out in and out relax when you breathe out.  I told myself out loud again and again you’re going to be ok you can do this just breathe in and out slowly stay calm you are going to make it.  I could feel my anxiety getting better by doing this and I finally got to Sam’s club.  Then when I was waiting for my medicine I realized I did not even want a cigarette after having my car do this to me and having an anxiety attack wanting to start up with me I calmed myself down without a smoke and I thought wow I have come a long way to do this. In the past I would have wanted to smoke my brains out over something like this but now I am in control of bad situations not my addiction.  All I have to do is stay calm and talk to myself out loud because I sure did not have anyone with me to calm myself down just me.  I keep telling new people you can do this and today after saying this for years this is the first thing that popped into my head to tell myself when in a crisis and it worked.  So my advice to everyone still is you can do this keep telling yourself you can every time you want to smoke or even have a crisis going on.

30 Replies
Barb102

You did it. I get anxiety attacks and I know how powerful and awful they can be. I didn’t get one early in my quit l8ke you. What an amazing job you did to protect your quit. You know you got this.  You do!!!  I’m so happy for you. NOPE 

Legend

Barb102   Yes anxiety can be so terrifying when it’s gets full blown on us.  I had the worst anxiety when I first quit smoking and I never thought it would get better until my best friend started teaching me how to relax and meditate he would spend hours with me teaching me this.  Now I have more control but it took time to learn how to handle anxiety.  It feels good to have other people know what it feels like to have anxiety they know what I am going through and how hard it is to handle it. I just looked at your states on your page you are doing great Yay!!!   I hope you have a great night.   

0 Kudos
Barb102

Maybe you can PM me with some techniques you learned. I would really appreciated that. Sorry I thought you were a Newbie. I have much to learn from you. Look forward to it

Legend

Barb102  Sure I will send you a pm.

YoungAtHeart

I had never in my life had an anxiety attack before until a horrific car accident where I was sitting at a stop sign - happened to be looking the other way - when two cars on the intersecting road  hit and careened into me at about 50 mph.  I had my foot on the brake (sign was on an incline) and the collision still pushed my SUV back and into a telephone pole...I never saw it coming.  The first time I got in the rental car to drive to work, I had what I later found out was a panic attack.  I .had no knowledge of them, so I thought if I just used breathing, I could get past it.  We who have experienced one know that once it is really triggered all the way, the adrenaline is in your system and it won't subside until that does.  I liken that experience to driving in a video game.  Everything seemed to be coming at me at warp speed, in technicolor!    I was a single Mom, and I HAD to drive all the heck over the place (one daughter was in Navy Seat Cadets, Mock Trial, travel softball, so I was constantly on the road with her).  I finally went to a psychologist who explained what a panic attack was.  I came up with a plan that worked.  I realized that the attack actually started when I THOUGHT about driving....so I started out simply stopping during cooking dinner, while the girls ate, cleaning up, or after  a walk, grabbing my keys, getting in the car and just going around the block.  After about a week, I went a bit further, and then further, until I was on a highway.  I conditioned myself over time not to trigger the attack by not thinking about it long enough for it to get started and haven't had one since.  Since this was situationally created, that was possible.

SO glad I figured it out.  I was still a smoker then, and I am sure the dopamine hit didn't help at all, at all!

Glad you ended up safe and sound - and still smoke free.

Nancy

TriGirl

Wow, Nancy! Way to "take the wheel"!

You were very lucky. God obviously wasn't done with you yet.

sweetplt

Wow 
Thank you for sharing Nancy YoungAtHeart I had mine several years ago when driving and I didn’t get in the car for a long time...I did what you did...baby steps...to this day I can only drive local...it is so hard and hard to explain to others in your life...they don’t get it...I am blessed though to have the support of my husband...when I feel it coming on...I talk to myself and God and usually it subsides...but first time it happened...well I donot wish this on anyone...talking about it, I get teared up...

Legend

YoungAtHeart   That’s great you found a way to overcome having future panic attacks from this accident.  A lot of people don’t ever find a way to deal with their anxiety. I’m glad you can still walk and take care of yourself after an accident like that.  

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

A new found realization about yourself and your strength is life changing.  Working through a panic attack is no easy feat.  I had one when my husband died and then abut 5 weeks later I had to put one of the dogs down.  It's a scary thing--you feel like you're going to die.  I felt one coming on last year after I quit smoking and I was able to talk myself through it.  And not even wanting a smoke under a stressful situation is such a triumph.   

Barb 

Legend

Barbscloud   I’m happy to hear you found a way to deal with your panic attack without having to go through a full blown attack those are the worst to go through.  I got to thinking last night about all of the men and women in the military that go in just fine and come out with anxiety and much more problems than I have and I sure have big respect for anyone in the military.   I hope all the construction on our highway gets done soon they still have a lot of work to do still.