cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Legend

Trouble today but I got through it without smoking my brains out over it I can do this

Today I was going to Sam’s Club to get my medication filled and my car died on a busy highway with high traffic.  There is a lot of construction being done on that highway so there was nowhere to even pull off to roll to a total stop on the left side of the road.  So I finally came to a stop with a really big truck behind me and an anxiety attack wanted to start up with me and I could feel my heart beating so hard it felt a drummer bounding on the drums.  I put my car in park when my car finally stopped completely and then got it started again but my anxiety wanted to take off like a rocket then.  So there I was in my car yelling out loud to myself you can do this stay calm you’re not going to have an anxiety attack breathe woman in and out in and out relax when you breathe out.  I told myself out loud again and again you’re going to be ok you can do this just breathe in and out slowly stay calm you are going to make it.  I could feel my anxiety getting better by doing this and I finally got to Sam’s club.  Then when I was waiting for my medicine I realized I did not even want a cigarette after having my car do this to me and having an anxiety attack wanting to start up with me I calmed myself down without a smoke and I thought wow I have come a long way to do this. In the past I would have wanted to smoke my brains out over something like this but now I am in control of bad situations not my addiction.  All I have to do is stay calm and talk to myself out loud because I sure did not have anyone with me to calm myself down just me.  I keep telling new people you can do this and today after saying this for years this is the first thing that popped into my head to tell myself when in a crisis and it worked.  So my advice to everyone still is you can do this keep telling yourself you can every time you want to smoke or even have a crisis going on.

30 Replies
Christine13

I am so impressed that you got yourself through your panic Christine.  I used to have panic attacks all the time, and couldn't even leave the house.  It was horrible.  I sought out help and went to an agoraphobic group.  It helped me tremendously and taught me about thought stopping.  Honestly I couldn't go anywhere, I stayed at home for 3 months at a time.  It was the worst time in my life.  Now I even travel in a airplane.  I can go out to dinner, and drive within my area.  I still get huge anxiety at times, and I have medication for it too.

Good for you Christine, you got through it.  And wow Nancy, thank god you weren't injured.

Legend

Christine13   I’m glad you had a group in your area to go to and get some help for you anxiety. Being able to go out in your car again and travel on an airplane is great you sure have come a long way with dealing with your anxiety way to go.  I had a big anxiety attack on an airplane once the plane was caught in a bad storm and was going up and down and the stewardess kept coming over to me and seeing if I was ok.  Everyone else on the plane looked stressed out from all the turbulence but they somehow dealt with it.     

indingrl

Yahoooooooooo and WAY TO GO Christine! Beautiful YOU inside and out with YOUR out loud encouragement to SELF - I do this to - talking out loud and it does work - CONGRATS staying a NON SMOKER and blogging the good news of walking YOUR talk - teaching ME if YOU encourage your SELF so will I - encourage MYSELF too - thank YOU so much for sharing YOUR experience and self honesty and courage to tell the facts of life on life's terms with the suddenly happening in YOUR day and truth that life happens to EVERYONE  - GOOD JOB handling YOUR day! I am so glad your moving forward and enjoying LIFE- in HIS love I love you and thank you for teaching ME to keep learning and growing and HEALING inside of ME - gentle hug❤

Legend

indingrl   Thank you for your complement.  I’m glad that big truck behind me was paying attention and stopped.  I’m all over it now and having a good day.  I think talking about this helps we can learn from each other how each one of us deals with anxiety.  

(((((Giving you a Hug)))))      

0 Kudos
Giulia

You walked your own talk!!!  I like that.  Ya done good!  (I hope you have the car checked out.  AutoZone and Napa will do free battery, alternator, etc. check.)

Legend

Giulia   I took my car in got my fluids checked and the battery and the guy had some tester box and plugged it in and it showed up that my Mass air flow sensor PO102 was going out so I will have to get that fixed now.  I googled how much that sensor cost and not much.  It’s always something that needs fixed. I did watch a video how to fix it and it looked simple but I think I will let a professional mechanic do it just to be safe I do have family in my car a lot and I don’t want anything bad to happen to them because I played mechanic.

0 Kudos
Giulia

Oh yeah, let them drop the screw and have to retrieve it from under the car!  

avian3

Well done!!

I had so many things happen the first few weeks of my quit, flat tire first day of serving as a juror on a trial that was held up because of me, house flooded, air conditioner died in the middle of summer............all of them I got through without a cigarette.  There was one thing at 6 months that totally overwhelmed me to the point where I was ready to go to the store to buy cigs and that was because I couldn't find the remote control to the TV. You just never know in those early days what might set you off so stay always vigilant.

Legend

avian3   Yep we always have to be on our guard you never know what might Trigger us.  I’m glad you are still going strong on your quit.

Mandolinrain

Gotta keep this short, girls are demanding right now, but wanted to tell you good job and I will be praying for you! Hugs and love my friend