cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Advice on patches

I’m not having much luck with finding a liveable balance with my allotted 4 cigs a day and the lozenges to equal the math of what I smoked.  The math is right, but delivery is so different.  I never smoked a whole cigarette in years, used snuffers to make them last a few times as  I found it was just what ya did, smoke the whole thing.   Now that I am using lozenges, I get spacey a lot even tho I don’t do a whole one at a time.  Same like the cigs.  I end the day now at 3.5 cigs and 6 lozenges.  Less than I smoked as far as nicotine.  

So I’m wondering if the low dose patch is worth a try.  I have panic disorder so I am leery of anything that may hype me up and trigger one.  I’d like to hear from people that have tried them.  

I request no replies about cold turkey as I had no quit plan and am working on that as I face months ahead with the anniversary of my husbands death, our birthdays, anniversary and the holidays.  This is a time I have to get thru sanely.  I also am in constant pain from spinal problems and very hypothyroid.  On oxygen at times from a recent infection not due to smoking.  Odd bug it took weeks to identify and treat.  So my plate is full as I try and do my best.

Thanks inn advance. 

41 Replies
Gwenivere

I should add my goal is to be nicotine free.  But I need to handle the upcoming emotional slams, as I am alone, before it can be a higher priority.  I’m in withdrawal as it is and it’s tough to juggle it it all.

JACKIE1-25-15

I did not use the patch.  However, there is a search engine top right corner by the magnifying glass that you can type any topic in and get results for you to review and read.  Here is one that I selected.  I just typed in "how to use the patch".  You can click on the link if you would care to read it.  https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/message/115093-re-has-anyone-tapered-off-ciggerettes-while-using-... BTW you can do that for any topic tha tyou are interested in.

Gwenivere

Thanks Jackie, that helped a lot!  

JACKIE1-25-15

You are quite welcome.

marciem

Hi Gwenivere!  

Since you aren't ready to stop nicotine quite yet, my suggestion to you would be to find a delivery system that doesn't involve hand-to-mouth or worse yet smoking.   

My reason for saying this is 1) cutting down doesn't eliminate that hand-mouth action that we are so used to and is so much part and parcel of our whole "smoking addiction" (as differentiated from nicotine addiction).  Patches are good in that regard.  Gum works that way also.  And probably your lozenges.   and 2)  continuing to smoke but cutting way back only makes each cigarette that much more precious and looked forward to.  You need to focus on looking forward to NOT having to smoke, not those few-and-far-between reliefs you get from cigarettes.

Along with patches, deep breathing (what we call 4 x 4... in (thru nose) count 4, hold count 4, out (thru pursed lips) count 4 and hold again count 4.  Five or six times at least, concentrating only on the breathing.  This can be an wonderful stress reliever, and you can do it to the point of a slight head-buzz almost like that first cigarette after long abstinence.  

Another thing is cut up straws, breathing thru them like a cigarette.  Or chewing them like a madwoman when craves hit.  (Craves will hit even with the patches, they will just be toned down.)

I don't know that the dosages of nicotine via other delivery systems really have much to do with how much you smoke.  And I don't think cutting down cigarettes really lessens the need for nicotine (logically it SHOULD... but addiction isn't logical and it sure never worked that way for me the 500 times I tried it).  It just keeps the withdrawal cycle going, and as anyone will tell you, they may get by with less and less cigarettes until life splat happens .. and boom they're back to as much or more smoking as they did at their most smoking-est.

Best wishes to you!!  Keep reading and posting and learning and getting support!

Gwenivere

The 4x4 thing does help and also makes ya feel a little strange.  Seems to me using cut up straws would reinforce the hand to mouth thing.  I think I heard once from a successful quitter he used rolled cinnamon sticks.  Said he drooled a lot.  I hear ya on the dragging out the withdrawal.  You’re right, logically it doesn’t make sense.  One expects to adapt to lower levels.  But alas.  Only 500 quit times?   This is only my 2nd so I’ve got a lot of runway.  

marciem

Gwenivere wrote:

Seems to me using cut up straws would reinforce the hand to mouth thing.   

Gwenivere‌... LOL, yes, the straw thing does seem that way and I hesitated to mention... BUT, I did add in chewing on it.  Thing is, if you GOTTA have that hand-mouth thing, far far better to do it with a straw than with cigarettes and all their toxins.  And can be used in conjunction with deep breathing  (which technique, btw, I still use for stress relief, it is wonderful that way, and no craves are involved.  Even nonsmokers get angry or stressed or anxious, ya know?  )

I tried cinnamon sticks at one point.  Still have the bottle, minus one stick.  It just wasn't something that helped me, but I've heard from others who used it faithfully and it helped them.

Gwenivere wrote:

Only 500 quit times?   This is only my 2nd so I’ve got a lot of runway.  

uh uh uh~~  no no this is a "do as I say, not as I did" situation, friend ... please don't think that way.  Putting smoke and toxins in your lungs only sets you up for the multitude of diseases and attacks on virtually ALL body systems that cigarette smoking induces.   I hope you won't keep quitting/smoking until you develop COPD (like I did) or lung cancer (like I did... well, I was 4 years quit, but the cancer seed was planted).

desiree465

I say give those patches a try, make sure you get the correct dose though, I believe you can look up what mcg is right for you based on how much you smoke. I have anxiety and the patches didn't make me more anxious or jittery, but you may want to take them off at night if you don't like having vivid dreams. If you have some stressful stuff coming up you don't want to end up increasing the number of cigarettes to cope. If you're already on the patches that'll at least keep you somewhat sane with out having to pick up a cigarette. And get a quit plan going! It really is important, I didn't think it was when I first quit but I did it anyway because I was desperate and was willing to try anything, and I think it's part of what saved me. Let us know what you end up doing:) 

virgomama

Gwenivere‌, I went  on the patches for two weeks as part of my quit plan.  I thought they did a great job of keeping the craves away so I didn't smoke.  You do have to give your body a day or two to get used to the new nicotine delivery system.  With the patch I was around other smokers and did not have the urge to smoke.  It puts the patch and not you in control of the nicotine delivery.  You will have to decide which dose to start with, but it sounds like you've been researching that already.  If your going to use it TRUST IT. Like I said your body will take a day or two to adjust but it's not bad.  I really like them and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them, especially in your situation.  They provide a steady dose all day so there really are not ups and downs.  I did have a hard time sleeping with them so I did not wear them at night.