cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

Gwenivere

Advice on patches

I’m not having much luck with finding a liveable balance with my allotted 4 cigs a day and the lozenges to equal the math of what I smoked.  The math is right, but delivery is so different.  I never smoked a whole cigarette in years, used snuffers to make them last a few times as  I found it was just what ya did, smoke the whole thing.   Now that I am using lozenges, I get spacey a lot even tho I don’t do a whole one at a time.  Same like the cigs.  I end the day now at 3.5 cigs and 6 lozenges.  Less than I smoked as far as nicotine.  

So I’m wondering if the low dose patch is worth a try.  I have panic disorder so I am leery of anything that may hype me up and trigger one.  I’d like to hear from people that have tried them.  

I request no replies about cold turkey as I had no quit plan and am working on that as I face months ahead with the anniversary of my husbands death, our birthdays, anniversary and the holidays.  This is a time I have to get thru sanely.  I also am in constant pain from spinal problems and very hypothyroid.  On oxygen at times from a recent infection not due to smoking.  Odd bug it took weeks to identify and treat.  So my plate is full as I try and do my best.

Thanks inn advance. 

41 Replies
Gwenivere

I will admit I have not fully committed as I do still have 3 cigs.  People say they find it doesn't calm them down and once I forgot to have any.  I am facing some intense personal issues and if I am becoming a pain by seeking help while still smoking, I will refrain from taking up peoples time.  Right now they do help me and someday I’ll find I didn’t need them. But not today. I find  you all inspiring.  I thank you for all your help and hope to help others one day.  

StacyS

This site is for people who are quitting as well as people who have already quit.  Make your plan and stick to it.  Remember that non-smokers deal with issues too.  You can do it if and when you truly decide to. The want to not smoke has to be greater than your desire to smoke.  Nicotine, although addictive, is not nearly as bad as actually smoking.   Try a low dose patch and see if it works for you. was smoking a pack a day and am wearing the step 1 patch.  I do not sleep in them; they disturb my sleep.  Physically I only feel like I need one when I wake up.  This pushes me to hustle my workout so I can shower and put a patch on. After I have one on for about 15 minutes I am fine for the rest of the day physically.  I do have urges that are physical; deep breathing helps me the most followed by gum.  I never realized how much my hand was fidgeting my lighter til I didn't have one.  Now I keep lip balm and/ lipsticks in my coat pockets to fidget. 

Decide when you want to quit and make your plan.  Til then just hang out here and take in information.  It may help you cut down even more.  Do it in your time.  That is the only way it will work for you.  Your mind is in control of this.  Best of luck!