cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Give and get support around quitting

DonnaMarie

Day 11

11.jpgSecond day of double digits with a bunch more ahead of me. 

I wish I had some profound statements to make about how I got here, but the simple fact is that it's a N.O.P.E. thing. 

There were no smoking dreams last night, but there was a theme of being lost and then finding my way. Dreams can be telling, can't they? 

According to my Smoke Free app, I've not spent 12 hours smoking. That means I was smoking about an hour or so a day. That's hard to believe. 

So much time that I've given back to myself. As a little background, I semi retired in January and now work () about 10 hours a week. All of a sudden, I had more time than I knew what to do with. Now, I have another hour a day to figure out what to do with! So much time. 

And off we go onto day 11. 

12 Replies

Congrats on day 11!

0 Kudos
elvan

CONGRATULATIONS on day eleven...good for you!  It is going to keep getting easier...you will find that time fills in pretty quickly.  Do something you really LIKE to do...I had my first pedicure after I had been quit for a month....considering the fact that I was 64 at the time, that was a HUGE treat for me.  I fell in love with the chair in spite of the fact that I had a couple of broken ribs and it kept smacking me.  The woman who runs the place kept asking me if I was okay.  I said it was worth it, she knew I had broken ribs...I told her when I got there...before I even knew about the chair.  What a treat.

You are doing great!

Ellen

SimplySheri

Time is a gift, isn't it?  Cherish it because it goes by so fast.  Congratulations on 11 days of being smoke free   Very happy for you!!  

0 Kudos
Sandi4

Your positive outlook on your quit will serve you well.

Congratulations on 11 Days Of Freedom!!!  

Sandi

DonnaMarie

Tomorrow is my shoulder repair surgery and I'm trying to fill today with just stuff - painting, sewing, cleaning, soon to nap, blogging (Quit Smoking Humor and Help ) and whatever I can do to keep myself busy. They told me to come in at 11 and surgery would begin at 12:30ish. You can bet I'll have a bedtime snack tonight. That's a long time to go without eating!

I'll probably stop by here in the morning, but if I don't, don't worry. I'm still quitting; I just may be out of typing commission for a couple days. I'm not sure yet! 

0 Kudos
elvan

PLEASE find a way to keep us in the loop, DonnaMarie‌, are you having rotator cuff repair or shoulder replacement or something else?

0 Kudos
DonnaMarie

I'm definitely having the subacromial decompression (the skeletal part of the shoulder) and will sign for rotator cuff repair, but the rotator cuff is not anticipated. I have too much strength for it to be that apparently. I think I mentioned I like to swim and earlier this year, every time I would swim backstroke (my stroke of choice), the left shoulder would ache for days. I finally had it looked at and an old injury had apparently flared and the bones are doing something wonky. I was going to have the surgery in March, but had to put it off because of the stupid bladder cancer surgery. I'm really in pretty good shape; it just seems like there's always something coming up. I don't let it get to me too much.

The good news is that not smoking is the best thing ever for the bladder cancer recurring and next year at this time, I'll be swimming again like I never had the injury or surgery. And the swimming will be easier without the smoking too.

I'll probably set up the laptop on a desk so I con't have to deal with it in my lap. 

Bottom line is I will not smoke. 

0 Kudos
elvan

DonnaMarie‌ I am glad you don't need the rotator cuff, I have had both done, they were not easy to recover from and they have snapped again and I have so much bone damage that I need shoulder replacements but my respiratory status makes me a very poor candidate for any surgery.  I had NO strength in either arm when I had rotator cuff tears...I do work out and use bands to strengthen my shoulders and I also use weights but the water is the BEST way to strengthen.  I have to use a noodle because I do not have the strength to swim without one.  I don't think I ever will be able to build up to that point.  

Setting the laptop on a surface is a good idea, you don't want to have to keep lifting it.

Not smoking is the best gift you can give yourself for this recovery and for your bladder cancer.  I am really proud of you and I will be saying prayers for you.

Hugs,

Ellen

0 Kudos
Barbscloud

Donna,

Hope all goes well today.  Please let us know how your are.

0 Kudos